The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[fixed] Zooming out changes window size?

Something wrong? Report it here
smmudge

[fixed] Zooming out changes window size?

Post by smmudge »

I have the full version running on a Galaxy Nexus (ICS 4.0.1) and I want to zoom out on some maps to see more than the default amount. This is especially true of the A-Z Street Maps. When I enable all zoom levels in the settings and zoom out, the window size shrinks rather than the map zooming out. Screen Shot below.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a "feature"?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Zooming out changes window size?

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi!
Thanks for using AlpineQuest and sorry for this late answer.
Here is what is going on with your map:

For a given map level, AlpineQuest will only allow to zoom out up to x0.5. The more you zoom out a given level, the greater map size you have to load in memory. This limit has been set to avoid out of memory crashes.

Usually this limit is not a problem (and even not noticed by the user), because when the user reach this limit while zooming out, the previous (smaller) map level is automatically loaded and displayed (zoomed in to match the more detailed zoomed out level).

However, when there is no smaller level, the current level is just shrunk like you saw.

To avoid that, be sure to add a wide range of zoom levels while creating maps, but not only the most detailed one, so that the application can switch to them when zooming out.

Note that if you are using .AQM maps, there is a setting that will create up to 2 fake smaller levels based on the smaller existing one. This setting is "AQM fake levels".

If you are using .QCT maps, there is unfortunately no solution right now (I am however working on something that could fix this).

I hope I have been clear enough, let me know if there is anything not clear for you.
Best regards

ps: I took the liberty to remove your previous post about the video message, which was actually a spam that I have also removed.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
smmudge

Post by smmudge »

Thanks for the update. I am using a QCT file here but do have the next zoom level down installed so will ignore the most detailed map and go for the next one out by default. When you say this is a memory issue, is that related to how much available RAM there is on the smartphone? With more memory coming as standard on these phones (I think mine has 1Gb), can AlpineQuest not sense what is available and be dynamic in how much zooming can happen? Thanks for looking at this.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Unfortunately this is not related to the global memory for the phone, but the available memory for each application. This amount sometimes increase with new Android version, but doesn't necessary depends on the global phone's memory.
I'm working on a new map canvas which I hope will fix that. Otherwise yes I will have to think about something you mentioned by taking into account the available memory for the application.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !