The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Memory card not detected

Something wrong? Report it here
jkt8410

[closed] Memory card not detected

Post by jkt8410 »

I'm trying out AlpineQuest on my LG Optimus S with a 4GB mini-SD card that works fine with other apps. However, at AQ start-up, I get the message "No memory card present. Funcitionalities will be limited."
Any ideas?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Memory card not detected

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
You can check in the AlpineQuest preferences the folder which is used by alpinequest, and modify it if something is wrong (default folder is "/sdcard"). Let me know if it seems correct and you still have the issue (you need to restart the application after changing this folder).
Best regard
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
jkt8410

Post by jkt8410 »

I had defined a folder (/sdcard/alpine) to store maps and landmarks which AQ apparently didn't recognize. When I reset it to /sdcard it resolved the problem. The question now becomes, if the app will only use the default folder, why provide a means to modify that setting? This is my first Android device. Am I doing something incorrectly?

Thanks for your response!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
Great that everything is find now.
Concerning the setting, it actually defines the root folder that AlpineQuest must use and in which one it will create its folder to store data (maps, landmarks, cache).
If you want to use '/sdcard/alpine' then you can but you must create this folder. Then AlpineQuest will create '/sdcard/alpine/alpinequest/' as its personal folder.
This is not really clear I admit.
Best regards
easynowandy

Post by easynowandy »

hi guys, sorry to tack onto this thread but my issue is kind of related.

Iive just got the new samsung galaxy nexus and loaded AlpineQuest 1.2.9 on to it as it looks ideal for my needs. i've managed to create some maps using MOBAC but as my android device doesn't use an SD card i'm unsure where to copy them to.

as mentioned the default app setting is a folder called "\SDCARD\", but i can't find that on the device's file structure when it's connected to my PC. from what i've read about the device it has 16GB of storage that is shared by the OS and the apps.

any ideas?

easy now,
andy
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
By default AlpineQuest will assume that the SD card is located at '/sdcard/', and will use this folder.
However there is a setting called 'Application folder' in AlpineQuest preferences that allows you to change this folder, so you can specify any other folder.

But be careful that it's normal that from your PC you cannot see this folder, but instead only it's content.

As far that I know Samsung devices, the internal phone memory content is located at '/sdcard/', and the SD card memory content is located at '/sdcard/external_sd/'. I agree, that's confusing.

I suggest you to start one first time AlpineQuest so that it creates its folders (including the maps folder), then connect your phone and search for the 'alpinequest/maps/' folder to use. Do not create it yourself.

Let me know.
Best regards
easynowandy

Post by easynowandy »

thank you. i reinstalled the application and changed the device to connect to my PC in PTP rather than MTP mode and i was able to copy my maps to the folder.

:)
HotelNeptune

Re: [closed] Memory card not detected

Post by HotelNeptune »

Hi! I'm having a similar issue, not sure what to do here. I'm a new user running the app on a T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2. I've been using the default /sdcard/ directory, but it has been saving my files in a root directory /alpinequest/ on my phone, rather than my external SDHC card. According to my file directory app on the phone, my sdhc card is located at /external_sd/ so I tried switching the folder to that through alpinequest, but I get the same "memory card not detected" error. When connecting the phone to my computer, on my desktop the card is labeled external sdhc, so I tried naming the folder both that and external_sdhc in alpinequest, still to no avail. The weird thing is, I *do* have an alpinequest directory on my external card from November, and it has my Home GPX waypoint saved in there, so I'm not sure why now I can't save back to that directory again and it only will let me do so on the phone rather than the external SDHC card (which has way more storage capacity). Any ideas? I would be interested in maybe uninstalling and reinstalling the software, but don't want to lose everything I have. Great app, by the way! It's addictive.

EDIT: on my pc (Mac) desktop, the sdhc card is titled micro sdhc, not external sdhc... so I tried micro_sdhc, /micro_sdhc/, and /sdcard/micro_sdhc/ in alpinequest, but it still can't find the directory. Am I just naming the directory wrong? //micro_sdhc/ perhaps?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
From the Android point of view, the "external" memory means the memory that can be accessed from the computer once plugged.
Usually this memory is available under '/sdcard/' and correspond to the SD memory card, but this is not required.
On samsung devices for instance, the so called external memory is built-in the device, so the folder '/sdcard/' is on the device memory, and is available on the computer once plugged (that's why you see the alpinequest folder). But it isn't the SD memory.
The SD memory card is available as a sub-folder of this external memory, usually under '/sdcard/external_sd/', so you should try to set this folder.
You may use an android file explorer (like EStrong's) to browse your device and have a look at all these folder names.
Let me know if you manage to make it work.
Best regards
HotelNeptune

Post by HotelNeptune »

Appears to be working now! Not sure what I did differently, but I was able to set the directory to the external HDSC card at /sdcard/external_sd/ like you said, and it is now targeting the right place. Thank you, and thank you for such a quick reply! This is a fantastic app. I downloaded BackCountry Navigator PRO, too, to compare... and I definitely prefer Alpinequest! Keep up the great work!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks for your feedback!
Best regards