The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[resolved] Exported GPX incorrect when imported to Garmin Connect

Something wrong? Report it here
wshaddix

[resolved] Exported GPX incorrect when imported to Garmin Connect

Post by wshaddix »

Something is off when exporting a route to gpx. If I create a route with many (I don't know the exact number) segments and I export the route to gpx and then open that gpx with Garmin Connect, I only get the first segment as the route. So a 5.2 mile hike might import as just .7 miles.

The weird thing is, I can open the gpx correctly in the Suunto app, re-export the route from Suunto, and then open that gpx file correctly in Garmin Connect.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Exported GPX incorrect when imported to Garmin Connect

Post by Psyberia-Support »

As far as I remember Garmin does not support multiple segments.
So I guest the Suunto app just drop them.
You can also do it from the app, at the top of the segments list, press the 3-dots menu on the right and select "Group all" (be careful that your segments will be merged and you cannot go back).
Then try to export.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
wshaddix

Re: Exported GPX incorrect when imported to Garmin Connect

Post by wshaddix »

Grouping the segments worked. thank you.

I did a file comparison of the alpine quest gpx and the suunto gpx and the difference was alpine quest exports tracks and segments whereas suunto exported way points.

tracks are more accurate than waypoints but garmin can only import 200 waypoints max so I'm assuming that's why it messed up on the alpine quest tracks.
Boyan Boyanov

Re: [resolved] Exported GPX incorrect when imported to Garmin Connect

Post by Boyan Boyanov »

As I had the same issue and didn't find a software service to group all the segments I opened the .gpx file with Visual Studio Code (probably any other code editor will help) and removed all the <trkseg> and </trkseg> tags from the code except the first opening one - '<trkseg>' and the last closing one - '</trkseg>'. This made the .gpx file with only one segment and imported correctly in Garmin Connect app.