The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Controlling data download from within .aqx files?

It's all about maps...
mattyOH

Controlling data download from within .aqx files?

Post by mattyOH »

I have several interrelated questions regarding the download of large amounts of data...
1 Is it possible in an .aqx file to force a particular zoom level to automatically download?
2 Can I restrict the download of a particular mapset to WiFi only from within the .aqx file? Would be useful when large quantities of data are involved.
3 Does the <tiles-bounds> tag only allow you to define a quadrilateral rather than a more complex shape such as that which can be set by the <outline> tag?
For example, there are large areas around the UK that I would prefer not to download data for at all and it would be beneficial to crop any download closer to the coastline for each successive zoom level.
Thanks in advance
Matt
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Controlling data download from within .aqx files?

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Matt,
I understand what you're trying to do but unfortunately the built-in area downloader is quite simple...
For 1, the only way to download data is by starting the download process, the app won't download a complete map level by itself.
For 2, this is not possible from the app but some devices allow to restrict usage of WiFi only, for particular apps, that may help you. From the app, you can activate the "offline mode" (called "only use stored data") to avoid data download when you don't want.
For 3, the tile bounds can only define a rectangular area.

But you can achieve all this by using MOBAC for example (see online help), create your file-based map with selected random area and zoom levels. Then move the map on your device and use it with the app.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
mattyOH

Post by mattyOH »

Thanks for the info.
With reference to #3 it would be very useful in the future, to me at least, if we could download data for not just rectangular areas as is currently available but also, for example, areas defined by an area placemark... maybe as a menu option for the placemark.
(Just another feature request that would make an already great app better still!)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Yes absolutely, it has been in the waiting list for a very long time now ("Add ability to store online maps along a path, inside areas or around a point")...
But there are so much requests that I don't know when I'll be able to work on this one.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
mattyOH

Post by mattyOH »

Apologies, I didn't see that one on the list. Keep up the great work!