The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Suggested feature - current gradient in ExplorerMode>FollowPath

Any question about the app? Ask it here
geoffers

Suggested feature - current gradient in ExplorerMode>FollowPath

Post by geoffers »

It would be a great feature if one of the display parameters in Explorer Mode (when Follow Path is being used) could be the current gradient on the path being followed (maybe the calculated average over the next 100m or so from the current position)

Many GPS cycle computers have this feature, and it would be particularly useful when using AlpineQuest to follow a selected cycle route.

Thanks, Geoff
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Suggested feature - current gradient in ExplorerMode>FollowPath

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Geoff,
Thanks for this suggestion, that would be great.
I've added this in the planned things, I'll try to find some time soon to work on this.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
geoffers

Post by geoffers »

Great stuff, thanks - just noticed that slope is actually one of the values already displayed if you select Tools>Information from the centre point
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Absolutely, this is the DEM based slope around the center point.
I was thinking of adding the slope based on the gyroscopic sensor of the device in the explorer mode.
geoffers

Post by geoffers »

Maybe provide both values as selectable view options.

I guess the initial calibration of the gyro sensor may be a bit problematic - would need to ensure that the bike was on a level surface, then fit the phone into the handlebar mount (which for ease of viewing is probably at quite an angle to horizontal) - then set the zero calibration at that point.

Also the banking of the bike going round bends would likely give erroneous reading...?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
I've just published a new beta version (2.3.5c.r8295) with experimental slope fields based on the gyroscope.
There is one field that means the last 2 seconds (more reactive but more noisy), another that uses the last 4 seconds.
The first time you use them on a mount, go on a flat area, wait that the numbers are stable, long press the slope field and select "Calibrate" (bottom/left). The calibration remains over app restarts.

This of course doesn't prevent me for adding additional slope fields like past GPS slope or future slope (based on followed path as you suggest).
suntalla

Post by suntalla »

Hi Geoff,
What is your experience using this new feature.
Testride today; the 2sec. mode, in the Netherlands, so totally flat, on smooth tarred surface, I got -2 to 0 to 2 but mainly 1 and 0. On a smooth well made road off stones with more bounce, but nothing spectacular, it rocketed to 10 and back.
I am curious what other bikers experiences are.
Friendly greetings
Jos
geoffers

Post by geoffers »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:56 pm Hi again,
I've just published a new beta version (2.3.5c.r8295) with experimental slope fields based on the gyroscope.
There is one field that means the last 2 seconds (more reactive but more noisy), another that uses the last 4 seconds.
The first time you use them on a mount, go on a flat area, wait that the numbers are stable, long press the slope field and select "Calibrate" (bottom/left). The calibration remains over app restarts.
This is brilliant 👍 - probably better than the Garmin (etc) gradient display, as I think they only display the interpolated gradient when you're following a pre-loaded GPX route.

Did a group ride today with both the 2 second & 4 second values displayed, and think that the 4 second is probably the best - in reality it is less than 1 second before it matches the 2-sec display, and the 2-sec is more susceptible to angle of lean in a corner (though you're not likely to be looking at your display on bendy roads)

The slope gradients are very accurate - probably far more accurate then you'd get from DEM as they would require complete accuracy of the altitude database, or interpolating from a gpx of the route which would rely on accurate mapping actually matching the road/terrain

Might help other users if the "calibrate" is in a highlighted text, or flashing to catch your eye when you first select the slope angle button

I noticed that the gyro caused a large reading when braking hard from speed, which I guess is similar to what Jos mentioned in his post - but "you can't change the laws of physics" so this isn't an issue

Thanks for your good work, Geoff
geoffers

Post by geoffers »

Just a thought...

It would probably be worth having just one refresh-time variable for slope to prevent confusion when users are selecting this

However maybe add the option to set a different time in user_settings.conf if people want to use a different value
geoffers

Post by geoffers »

Hi - Me again...

Just had another brilliant thought - i use AQ when ski-touring/mountaineering

One of the important display map-layers I have loaded is the DEM slopes greater than 30⁰ layer, so you can see if you are in an area of avalanche danger, as slope ≥ 30⁰ (ie 57.74%) are the most likely to avalanche

So would it be possible for the slope display to change to a red highlight if the measured slope is showing 58% or more
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi
Concerning the current slope fields, I'm still experimenting various delays...
You can already change the "2s" delay, for example to change it to a 5s delay use this user setting:

Code: Select all

navigation.slope.smooth_delay_ms=5000
I still plan to add other slope display from other methods, like the one from the followed track that could give the slope to come...

Concerning the DEM slope, it can also be useful, but it's it's very different. It would give the slope of the current face of the mountain you're on, but not the slope of the current way, which one is usually transverse...
This slope would be the one useful for the avalanche warnings. By the way, when you talk about the red highlight, do you mean in the "Screen center info" panel?
suntalla

Post by suntalla »

Hi,
François wrote
"I still plan to add other slope display from other methods, like the one from the followed track that could give the slope to come..."
Yes, following the tour the France on Belgium television with some expert commentators, the thing they are talking about most is; Slope to come, and how important that is.
Biking uphill is for most rather intens and getting informed through a small display can easily be to difficult.
If possible
colour-coding as a solution??
Par example;
The user can define gradient of sections (100M or x.M)of a route p.a. 0-5% as green, 6-8% as a personal red zone, 9-etc% purple as a personal "better turn around zone", going downhil is p.a. Blue.
This way when preparing a trip what to expect for climbing is quickly clear and once on the trip the colour tells in a quick glance what lies directly ahead.
The current gradiënt as a cipher in explorer mode is perfect (large enough) the way it is I think.
I am curious what other bikers and hikers think about the gradiënt topic.
Friendly greetings
Jos
geoffers

Post by geoffers »

By the way, when you talk about the red highlight, do you mean in the "Screen center info" panel?
I was thinking more of the field being displayed in explorer mode, so say that you held your phone parallel to the slope angle (maybe lay a ski stick down the slope and measure that angle) the field being displayed would change colour if greater than 30deg.
That may be difficult for you to program, so only a suggestion - not a big deal 👍
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I've added a red dot when the slope is more than 30 degrees.
Hubiug

Post by Hubiug »

Hi, a bit off topic but I've looked at the Summary list of suggested features recently and I found this request: Request for next version: vertical speed!
As far as I know, it wasn't added since then, so maybe it would be a good time to do so, since I think it's closely related to the current gradient you've just added
Thanks a lot for your work!