The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Request: Increase display zoom

Any question about the app? Ask it here
DolphinPC

Request: Increase display zoom

Post by DolphinPC »

Hello,

I thought this was requested before but I couldn't find the thread.

Is it possible for you to implement the ability to increase zoom on file based maps?

For example, my sat imagery is only downloaded to, say, level 17 zoom. But I would like to be able to increase display further so I can more precisely pinpoint a location. Despite it being pixelated. This would be so valuable as it's hard to get precise pinpoints sometimes because my zoom is not good on the maps and AQ doesn't allow to zoom beyond the maps max level.

Please share your thoughts! Thank you so much
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Request: Increase display zoom

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
With a map until zoom 17 you should be able to "over" zoom at least to zoom 20. Isn't it the case?
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
DolphinPC

Post by DolphinPC »

Hi, thanks for your reply.

It does not appear that the display lets me over-zoom. Not sure how to tell what zoom level I am at. The infobox says "1:6957" if that helps.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Then it means you either already over-zoomed 3 times, or you're using an user setting to disable overzooming.
If you can't find what is the problem, here is an alternative method: display any google or OSM map that goes until the zoom level you would like (you can even set its opacity to zero), then add your map as layer. You'll then get all the zoom levels.
DolphinPC

Post by DolphinPC »

Hello,

I don't see how I am over-zoomed at all. Again, AQ doesn't report this on screen anywhere. I see no user setting that disables over-zoom.

The maps were produced with MOBAC and most downloaded at, say, 15. So, you are saying the basemap zoom level is what the max zoom is based on?
OSM are only zoom level 16. I wouldn't gain much making that my basemap. I think simply allowing the screen to overzoom *infinitely* would be a good feature. Why limit zoom?

Thank you
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

You can have a look at the top/left information box with the map icon.
At the right of the scale, you have the current zoom level currently displayed for your map.
Be sure to only have your file based map displayed, no other.
Now when you zoom, the current zoom level will increase until the max value. You'll see that when you reach the last level, you can still zoom in a few times. This is what I call over-zooming.

After over-zooming a few times, at some point, the map will only be colored pixels of no use.
In the case you still want to zoom more (something most users don't need), you can do this using the tip as explained before:
- Display the Google Sat map (or any map with a large zoom range);
- Then add your map as a layer.
This way you'll be able to go until the meters.