The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Force update of maps

Any question about the app? Ask it here
ds47uk

[closed] Force update of maps

Post by ds47uk »

In AQ2 under 'Maps & Layers' there is an option to 'Use only local storage'.

In 'Select and save an area' there is an option to 'Update data already installed'

I have noticed that in one of the maps that I use, a large amount of data has been updated from the stored version that I have. Rather than store everything again, may I suggest that under 'Maps & Layers' there is another option to 'Force update of stored data'. This will mean that rather than store again all the data I have, I only need to get the new data for areas that I look at.

What do you think?

regards
David
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Force update of maps

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and sorry for the delay.
I'd rather not to add a option for this for those reasons:

Firstly, I really try to limit new options and UI adds to the strict minimum, only for important features that may be used by most users.
I really try not to do the same mistake I did with the previous 1.x version on which I regularly added things that eventually led to a very complex application... I still get "bad" comments stating that the application is too complicated to be used...

But mainly, because this behavior is in a way the "default" one: the application is made to update the map on a regular basis (when displaying data older than a certain delay) depending on the map type, transparently so user don't bother about it. Maybe this delay isn't correctly set for your map, which is not correctly updated.
If a user really need to update some map data before this default delay, as you pointed here, the "update data already stored" of the "Store area" tool is exactly here for that.

Now, I understand your case and there is already another way to do exactly what you want: you just have to temporarily (or not) change the delay after which the application should update the map, and set it to zero, forcing the application to update your map no matter of the age of the currently stored data.
Just let me know what map is it so I can give you more details. Basically, it consists of opening the map configuration file with a text editor and change the delay line.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
ds47uk

Post by ds47uk »

Hi
Thanks for the reply - I can understand your reasoning for not adding this and accept the logic behind it. The map in question is one based on the Bing Ordnance Survey maps for which I generated a key (you will remember the problems we had about a year ago!!). Since I generated a 20 GB file, I don't want to change over to the new version and start again!

The line to be modified is obviously

<update-delay>None</update-delay>

so presumably if I change the 'None' to 'Zero', it will update everything all the time. Looking back at the old posts, am I right that the correct syntax is '3M' for three months and '7D' for seven days?

Also what would happen if I was off-line and tried to access a map with update-delay set to Zero? Would it fail, or would it give up trying to access the internet, and still use the off-line data?

regards
David
Last edited by ds47uk on Mon May 16, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi again,
Thanks for understanding.

The correct syntax is actually "<update-delay>0D</update-delay>" (zero was just the idea).
And yes, you can use any combinations using D, W(eek), M, Y (like 5D, 2W, 6M, 1Y, ...).
For exemple I'd advice you to use a few days delay instead of zero so the map isn't updated every single time you display it.

Before any update consideration, the application will first display the stored data, and then if needed it will request a new version from the map server and update the display when a the new version is downloaded (if any).
Doing so allows the map to be displayed if there is no network, but also during the download of a new version if it happens.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
ds47uk

Post by ds47uk »

EXCELLENT!

Just tried it and it does exactly what I wanted. I'll leave it on zero for a few days to update the bits I need at the moment, then swich it back to 'None' so that it doesn't keep overwriting the new data.

many thanks
David