The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Localisation

Something wrong? Report it here
AndyT

[closed] Localisation

Post by AndyT »

Hi again! Still getting to grips with this app and have the following "problem".

On my HTC phone running Version 1.3.12 of AQ, if I go to localisation then, when my GPS positioning is found, the map then centres on my current location (fine, exactly as I expected).

BUT on my wife's HTC running Version 1.4.0 if we do the same, AQ shows a blue line from wherever the map is currently positioned to our current actual position (ie. the map is not centred and we have to scroll across/follow the line to find our current position).

Are we missing something obvious (setting or something)....or has a change been made between releases of AQ?

Regards, AndyT
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Localisation

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi!
No (voluntary) change has been made in that way.
Once the location has been found and the map do not centre, do you see a small lock on the Localisation menu? If you click on the menu, does the map centre?
Maybe that you have the option "Lock current location" un-checked in the Localisation sub-menu.
Let me know
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

I don't think that there is a general problem with map centring in AQ 1.4.0 as it works every time on my Galaxy S3, running CyanogenMod 10.1 (JellyBean 4.2.2).

I do find, however, that very occasionally, AQ does not properly initialise the GPS locator function and then never gets a GPS fix. Whenever I try and reproduce this scenario, the GPS locator always works (annoyingly), so I suspect that this may be an odd issue with the CyanogenMod ROM, rather than AQ.
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

>>Maybe that you have the option "Lock current location" un-checked in the Localisation sub-menu.<<

That was it, it was checked on my phone/unchecked on hers..........

BUT, I'm struggling to understand the logic of this "switch"!
I cannot see the purpose of indicating from a (random) point on the map back to the current actual position.
Surely it makes more sense to always centre the map on current actual position and (maybe) give the option to indicate from there the direction of the previous map position (if it wasn't actually random)?

The situation that caused this question was that we were cycling along a known route (so not actually needing AQ) and wife wondered where a particular track off to the left went to. She activated AQ and found that the previous map setting was 50 miles away and so thought she had to scroll to get to current actual position. Now I appreciate how to do it "properly", but this led me to question as above...........

Still loving the App tho :-)

Regards, AndyT
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi!
To Yemble: the GPS indicator is displayed by the system as soon as an application is requesting updates from the GPS. Application have no control on it (no app can hide it for example).
If the indicator is displayed, it means that an application is currently requesting GPS location.
In AlpineQuest, it's only the case if the Localisation or if the GPS Location Tracker is turned on.
But, of course, you can still be faced to an Android or AlpineQuest bug...

To AndyT: this option made more sense in older versions, where you couldn't move the map somewhere else than the current GPS location when the GPS was turned on (as soon as you released the map, it moved back to the current location). You could then disable this option to move to another place while having the GPS activated. It was quite boring and has been replaced by the new behavior.
You're right that now it doesn't really make anymore sense. I think I will remove it soon and consider it as always checked.

Best regards
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Since upgrading to the latest CyanogenMod ROM a few days ago, I have not experienced any more issues with the GPS locator function, so I am pretty sure that it was a CM bug rather than AQ.

I suppose that's just life on the bleeding edge...
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi and thanks for the feedback.