The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] sd card use in a samsung tablet

Any question about the app? Ask it here
johnpa

[closed] sd card use in a samsung tablet

Post by johnpa »

i just purchased a samsung tab a 7 inch and installed alpinequest. I also added a 128gb micro sd card but the application will not recognize it. i moved the application to the sd card just fine but i need to download maps and want them to go on the sd card. can anyone help me. the android system is 5.1.1.

thanks johnpa
theksmith

Re: sd card use in a samsung tablet

Post by theksmith »

i was trying to help John with this issue and could not... he simply wants to have AlpineQuest make use of his SD Card for all storage (map caching, area downloads, etc.).

to further clarify what he's saying, the problem is when he goes to AlpineQuest > Settings > Storage Location - there is no external storage (SD Card) option available to him. John, can you post exactly what the screen says there?

the SD Card is mounted and usable, he's even tried re-formatting it in the tablet. he was able to successfully use the "Move to SD Card" feature in (Android) Settings > Applications > Application Manager > AlpineQuest. that alone i would have expected would cause the app to start using external storage for all things?

i think the problem may be one of app permissions. since the tablet is on Lollipop there is no Android feature to manage permissions for individual apps other than the app itself requesting the permission at run time and AlpineQuest never requests permission to write to external storage.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: sd card use in a samsung tablet

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Here are some clarification about the use of SD cards:
  • The fact that the application itself is installed on the device or on the SD card has no impact on the right to use the SD cards. When you move an application on the SD card, you just move the program file, but the application works exactly the same (no more or less grants, not different settings, etc.).
  • Requesting permissions at runtime is only available since Android 6. The same version in which users can manually grant/revoke permissions for the apps.
Here is a detailed post explaining how it works on each versions.

Independently from the version you use, you should always be able to select one storage location on the SD card, the one located in the "/Android/data/" folder of the SD card. You can see this choice in [urlhttp://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/settings ... ion_folder]this help page[/url].

If you aren't able to select this folder, you can try the things listed here.

Hope it helps
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !