The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Transfer AQM phone-phone

It's all about maps...
piglet

[closed] Transfer AQM phone-phone

Post by piglet »

Hello,
Me and the better half both have paid up AQ.
I created a new map which works on my Android but when I try and Bluetooth it to the wifes MotoG the phone rejects the download as unrecogniseable file format.
Bit off I thought.
Is there a sneaky way round this?
Thanks
Tim
Yemble

Re: Transfer AQM phone-phone

Post by Yemble »

piglet wrote:Hello,
Me and the better half both have paid up AQ.
I created a new map which works on my Android but when I try and Bluetooth it to the wifes MotoG the phone rejects the download as unrecogniseable file format.
Bit off I thought.
Is there a sneaky way round this?
Thanks
Tim
Umpteen different ways!

1) The easiest / fastest method is to use an external card reader, but obviously only if you have removable media (eg. microSD) in each phone.
2) Hook each phone up to a PC / laptop, via USB and transfer that way - method varies according to the phone OS - very easy in Android 6.
3) Use (free) AirDroid app to transfer data directly over WiFi.
etc., etc...
piglet

Post by piglet »

Thanks Yemble,
You are right there other ways, but direct phone to phone should be easiest and I was surprised that Android blocked the file.
I have since emailed it, failing that it's back to the laptop, which doesn't have the nasty Motorola driver pack installed.
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

piglet wrote:Thanks Yemble,
You are right there other ways, but direct phone to phone should be easiest and I was surprised that Android blocked the file.
I have since emailed it, failing that it's back to the laptop, which doesn't have the nasty Motorola driver pack installed.
I have found that Android 6.01 (Marshmallow) is much friendlier to USB connections from Windows than previous Android versions. This is now my preferred method for transferring stuff to and from my Moto X Force and Moto X Style phones, since it is pretty much bullet proof. If I am shipping huge quantities of map files, then I will resort to my external card reader since it is much faster than USB for bulk transfers. Both phones have large mircoSD cards (>128Gb) installed specifically for AQ maps.

In terms of both performance and reliability, BlueTooth is possibly the worst file transfer method available! AirDroid is a much better alternative for wireless transfer.
piglet

Post by piglet »

Thanks,
I hard wired it to the laptop in the end.
We don't do it often enough to have a proper system.