The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[fixed] Caching maps

Something wrong? Report it here
bogusflow

[fixed] Caching maps

Post by bogusflow »

Hey there!

I noticed that AlpineQuest wasn't caching the online maps properly and that I was for some reason missing the "cache" subfolder on my SD Card. I manually created this folder and AlpineQuest is now caching the maps properly to the SD card as I move around the map.

Unfortunately the app "hangs" momentarily every time that it is writing the map piece to the cache folder. The OS reports that the program is not responding quite often. My SD Card is pretty fast and shouldn't be the issue here... It hangs for roughly about five seconds for each map tile written.

Any thoughts?

Love the program! Looking forward to using it hiking this weekend!
:D
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Caching maps

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
And thanks a lot for your feedback.
You're completely right, the 'cache' folder is not created automatically, and so maps are not cached.
I miss that one because my 'cache' folder was already created on my SD card by a previous version... Really bad. I'll post an update soon.

Concerning the freezes I unfortunately don't reproduce them. I deeply test the application on a HTC G2 (Android 1.6) and a HTC Desire (2.1) and both are working well. On the development emulator where the Internet access is fast, there are some hangs when tiles are written (for few milliseconds) and I never saw the "OS force close" dialog.
The problem is that on the contrary of previous versions where I wrote tiles in small pieces (and had total control on it), the writing is now delegated to a DataBase that write the whole tile in one time.
I'll have a closer look at this issue and will try to fix the problem in the next update too.
Again, thanks a lot, I'll let you know
Regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
bogusflow

Post by bogusflow »

Thanks! I'll stay tuned for the newest version! :)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
The new version (1.0.0) fixes the folder creation issue.
But I didn't find a satisfying solution for the problem of freezes during tile writes.
What I have done is to add a setting to be able to use the previous storage mode which seemed to work fine. Change the "Online storage mode" setting to "Multiple files". I'll keep on searching for a better solution.
This is very strange because on my HTC Desire (android 2.1) there is absolutely not hangs, and on a Samsung Teos (android 2.1 too) on which I tested the application there was a lot...
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !