The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Editing waypoints outside AQ

Any question about the app? Ask it here
AntonM

[closed] Editing waypoints outside AQ

Post by AntonM »

I've stored several eating places in Paris as waypoints, ready for a forthcoming trip. I got them off a website of recommendations, and I'd like to add the comments from the website to the waypoints. I know that I can add comments to waypoints, and that is exactly what I need for this purpose.

But it would be much more convenient to do that on my desktop than on my phone. Is there a tool that will let me do it on my desktop?

On my phone, I have to go to the browser, copy the text for the waypoint comment, re-enter AQ, create a comment, paste the text into it, save it, and then re-enter the browser. It's not a huge effort for a few waypoints, but it would still be easier on the desktop.

I can access all the WPT files by plugging my phone into my desktop via USB. It would be sooo much easier to copy and paste text from a desktop browser window into the WPT file in the phone's desktop window.

I would not be surprised to find that there already exists something that will let me do that -- but, if not, is there any chance of someone producing something? :)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Editing waypoints outside AQ

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
You can create your points from your PC with any KML/GPX compatible application, including Google Earth.
Then export your points to a GPX or a KML file and you'll be able to read them directly from AlpineQuest.

You can also export your existing points to a GPX or KML file, so you don't re-start from zero. Long press a set and select 'Export as' (see here).

You can also convert items from or to the GPX format using copy/paste as explained here: http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/1.4/ ... gpx_format.

Let me kwow if you need more help,
Best regards.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
AntonM

Post by AntonM »

Thanks for that. Can I multiselect (how?) or do I have to export them one by one?
AntonM

Post by AntonM »

Er... how do I get to the window you showed in your screenshot? Sorry for being a dummy!
AntonM

Post by AntonM »

I'm making really heavy weather of this. I finally managed to get the WPT files into a GPX file (but the process was not all intuitive), and I then dragged the resulting GPX file out onto my PC's desktop. From there I tried to load it into Google Earth, but that just beeped at me and showed nothing. So I found GPX Editor on SourceForge, but that returned the following error message --
Opening zzzzgpx.gpx
File: D:\Users\<me>\Desktop\zzzzgpx.gpx. Line: 66 Col: 20 Error: Expected String: ';'
File not loaded
No GPX file loaded, nothing to display
There must be an easier way?

Anton
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,

You can convert all your WPT files very quickly:
- click on the category icon of these "Waypoints", and select 'Copy';
- create a new GPX file using the '+' menu item (it will then be opened);
- click on the 'Clipboard' menu item and select 'Paste here'. Your GPX file is ready.

Note however that when using lot of waypoints, you should use a 'Set of waypoints' instead of using separate independent waypoints, that would allows you to make common edits, like changing the color, or exporting them like shown in the screenshot.
You can create a set of waypoints from various waypoints by copying all these waypoints together like explained above, and then pasting them inside a new folder (they'll be merged in an unique set file).

Concerning your GPX read issue, I cannot help unless I can see the file. If there's nothing personal in it and would like to send it by email I could have a look.
Otherwise you can also try to export your set in the KML format, used by default by Google Earth.

Sorry for all this pain
Best regards

Edit: I just made a test to convert .WPT waypoints to a GPX file and Google Earth displayed all items fine (AQ 1.4.19 & GE 7.1.2.2041).
AntonM

Post by AntonM »

I'd actually rather not use GE (my version is the same as yours) as it's a bit of a cluttered interface. Since I have only about a dozen waypoints, I'll do this lot by swapping between the phone browser and AQ, and hope that you (or someone else) might find time one day to produce a simple WPT editor for desktops. :)

(I'm also using the latest AQ from the Play store -- I keep it updated.)

Having said that, I'm happy to send my GPX file to you by email -- it contains nothing personal. Where should I send it?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

You can send it to contact [at] psyberia.net
Thanks a lot
AntonM

Post by AntonM »

Done! Thanks :)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks for the file.
The issue comes from one name: "Shakespeare & Co". Removes the "&" character (directly in the GPX file or using AQ and re-exporting the file) and it will work fine anywhere.
I'll try to improve the GPX export to handle this case, sorry about that.
Best regards
AntonM

Post by AntonM »

Thank you for your trouble, and for your help with this issue.
jupeos

Post by jupeos »

Having this ability would greatly improve the user experience when editing waypoints. One of the biggest issues (and failings) of sw is when a proprietary format is used that isn't publicised. At the very least, open the binary format and data structure to allow other users to develop their own .wpt editors.
The fact that this question has had an order of magnitude more views than others should be an indication that this is a highly desirable feature.

Hopefully you will respond to this request. AQ is a great app and I'd like to see it continue to improve.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
You can already export/import all the landmarks created by the application in various common formats like GPS/KML/CSV. The "proprietary" format is only used to speed up reads and writes from the app, reduce memory usage and have more flexibility of usage. As discussed here, specifications will be soon available (I just need to find time to write them).
Best regards