The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[done] Also allow making (and saving) arbitrary lines from A to B

Any question about the app? Ask it here
jidanni

[done] Also allow making (and saving) arbitrary lines from A to B

Post by jidanni »

We can make a handy line from our current GPS position to an arbitrary point on the map.
We can see the distance (and azimuth in a box in the corner.)

Alas, we can only make such lines from our current position.

It would be great if we could also make them from any points A to B. (And even be able to save such lines.)

That way we could figure out the line of sight distance between Bob and Bill's house without having to visit them. Also we could see how near that line Amy's house is, in case we want to install a radio repeater there, etc.

Also point B should be allowed to be other than only the center of the map.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Also allow making (and saving) arbitrary lines from A to

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
You can get the distance and azimuth from the screen center to any other location without using the GPS location.
Just:
- move the map center over the point B, click on the center and select "Target center";
- then move the map center over the point A and you'll get the distance and azimuth from A to B in a top left box (be sure to have the option "Target information" checked in the "Landmarks" sub-menu).

However I plan to improve this process and add a more powerful "measure" tool, and why not the ability to save those measurements like you suggest...

Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
jidanni

Re: Also allow making (and saving) arbitrary lines from A to

Post by jidanni »

OK I can confirm that works. Thanks.

I just wish I could freeze the line and then explore along it.

For now at least I can note the azimuth reading, and then shorten the line, being sure to keep the azimuth about the same, thus still being able to see if the line intersects Amy's house.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Also allow making (and saving) arbitrary lines from A to B

Post by Psyberia-Support »

OfflineMaps 2.2b now has a new measure tool allowing to compute distance and bearing from any A point to any B point.
Measures then displayed on the map can be saved an edited just like any other landmarks.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !