The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Can't get Alpine Quest find MM .oct Maps on new phone.

It's all about maps...
mel102

Can't get Alpine Quest find MM .oct Maps on new phone.

Post by mel102 »

Hi guys, I've been using Alpine Quest Hiking since MMTracker became "unavailable", I have the whole set of MM maps in .oct on CD. I've had AQ working perfectly on my old "Huawei Ascend G510" phone with OS Android v4.1, but just can't get AQ to find the maps downloaded to the SD Card on my new "Motorola MOTO G 3rd Gen" phone with OS And. v5.1.1. Is it possible AQ doesn't work with my new phone or OS And. v5.1.1? I've tried different SD Cards and also checked on my PC that the maps are downloaded to them, but previously where I just selected Explore Maps and the list of available maps appeared doesn't work. Any advice gratefully received.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Can't get Alpine Quest find MM .oct Maps on new phone.

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
I haven't noticed anything wrong with Android 5.x yet.
Be sure that you have copied the right files (the MM maps must have a .qct extension, I guess .oct was a typo), entirely, and in an accessible folder. You can try to copy one map on your device internal memory to check if there is anything wrong with placing them on the external SD.
You can also make an error report after listing the containing folder, so I can have a look at your log and check if there is something wrong (main menu -> more -> Report error).
Let me know
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
mel102

Post by mel102 »

Thanks for your speedy reply.

Sorry .oct was a typo.. I must confess I'm not totally savvy with using these phones, I'm not sure how I would send a map to the internal storage on my phone. Previously I have removed the SD card from my Huawei phone and sent the required map from my PC to it, then replaced the card in the phone, probably a long winded method but so far it's worked OK. I've placed the SD card with my previous maps which works OK in my Huawei phone into my new Motorola, using the same settings, and it doesn't work.

BTW, I also have an ASUS Fonepad, and have had a Cubot X9 phone, with Alpine Quest app installed and they work fine too, but again their OS is Android v4.1. Thanks again for your attention.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Can you make an error report from the application (main menu -> more -> Report error) after listing the maps folder so I can check if there is something wrong?

Post by Guest »

Thanks, I jusr figured out how to send the error report and have done so.

BTW, OT, I find this new phone isn't so user friendly as any of my previous ones and that clould be due to the OS and 5.1.1
mel102

Post by mel102 »

Guest wrote:Thanks, I jusr figured out how to send the error report and have done so.

BTW, OT, I find this new phone isn't so user friendly as any of my previous ones and that clould be due to the OS and 5.1.1
Sorry, I forgot to sign in before I sent my last post.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

No problem.
Starting with Android 4.4, the SD card is no more freely writable by applications, so the application uses the internal storage by default.
However you should be able to access your maps like this:
- Open the maps explorer and select the "on board maps" category (see steps 1, 2 & 3 here);
- Use the "Back" button of your phone (or the one from the app bottom menu) until you list the storage spaces of your device. There, you should see a section called "SD Card (32GB)". Select this one, and then the exact folder where your maps are (so maybe "...../alpinequest/maps/" or something like that.
Let me know
mel102

Post by mel102 »

Thanks again for your superb support. So far so good, that seems to have done the trick, I'm up and running again. BRILLIANT!!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Ok perfect thanks for the feedback.