The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

V 2.1 Can't Read .AQM

It's all about maps...
Tonton

V 2.1 Can't Read .AQM

Post by Tonton »

Hi!
I'm using OfflineMaps V.2.1, and tonight I made some custom maps with Mobac.
As explained in the FAQ those maps have to be in Alpine Quest format, that is .AQM.
Once done I put the newly created maps in the Offlinemaps/cache/builtin-maps but the app doesn't detect them.
I then put them in the Offlinemaps/cache/custom-maps but it didn't work either.
I tried several other location within the Offlinemaps folder but no dice.
The maps are google maps.
What am I missing?
Is it that maps have to be in .AQX format?
Or maybe something to do with google?
Thanks in advance for your reply!!!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: V 2.1 Can't Read .AQM

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your interest in our applications.
You just need to use AlpineQuest instead of OfflineMaps, since this last one cannot read file based maps for now. The free Lite version of AlpineQuest can read AQM maps.
Other than that, it seems you did everything fine.
Let me know if you have an issue,
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
tonton

Post by tonton »

Hi!!
Thanks a lot for your quick reply.
I have downloaded Alpinequest, it's a nice app.
Alas, I put the Mobac created map in the alpinequest/maps folder, but it's still not detected...
On a good note, I have transfered on Alpinequest all the maps I had downloaded with Offlinemaps and they work, that's great!
They can't be updated though, but I guess it's because they have been created with Offlinemaps.
One more question, I have a zillion of tiles I downloaded at the time I was still using Maverick (they are in .png.tile format) that I'd like to convert to an Alpinequest or Offlinemaps readable format.
I looked here and there on the net but I haven't been able to find any way to do it and I start to think that it's not doable at all.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Again, thanks in advance for your answer, and 2 thumbs up for your apps, I will advertise them!!!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
You should be able to re-use your stored data, and also update it. If you stored it on the SD card with Android 4.4 or more, it's a bit tricky (due to new Android security rules), but possible. Here is more information: http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/1.4/ ... 44_upgrade (it's not exactly for the same thing, but it works the same).
Concerning your maps, be sure to browse the exact same folder you put them into. You can also make an error report so I can check your folders configuration.
Let me know
Best regards
Tonton

Post by Tonton »

Hi!!
Ok, my bad...
I hadn't seen that to read a Mobac made map I had to click on the folder icon. I did it, and it automagically loaded:-)
Then, if the maps I had from Offlinemaps didn't want to update in Alpinequest it was because of a script I run in my firewall, I disabled it and maps updated.
Now I still have one concern that is, how can I made use of the old maps I downloaded with Maverick?
They are in png.tile format, organized in numerous folders. I have a batch editor program so renaming them wouldn't be a problem, but I don't see any way to put them in a Alpinequest readable format, even with Mobac.
Any idea?
Thanks in advance for your answer!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
Sorry for having missed that point.
You won't be able to directly load you old data in AlpineQuest right now (I would like to add a feature like this but right now I just don't have the time). However you should be able to do it via MOBAC and a local tile map loader (http://mobac.sourceforge.net/wiki/index ... Tile_files). I have never done something like this but it seems to do the job. Note that you'll then need to create an AQM map from this data. It will take a long processing time and the data won't be updatable).
I really suggest you to retrieve a fresh version of your stored data using AlpineQuest or OfflineMaps. I know it may take time (but you don't need to do it at one time, just retrieve the parts you need some time to time), but it will allow you to have an updated version that can be quickly displayed (compared to a file based map that need to be selected and loaded).
If you need to store data from google maps, you can manually add this map source in the application (since the built-in version doesn't allow you to store data), just suggest the map "http://www.google.com/maps".
Let me know if you have any issue
Best regards
Tonton

Post by Tonton »

Thanks for your reply.
I will try the local tile map loader and I will let you know.
I won't do it now though, I'm rather busy at the moment:-)
For the google maps, I have transfered to Alpinequest the maps I had downloaded with Offlinemaps, they update and I can view the newly downloaded maps offline...
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Ok perfect.
Tonton

Post by Tonton »

Allright, so today I had some time and I tried.
And you know what?
It worked!!!
Here's a little how to in case anyone is interested...
You have to create an xml file that you will put in the "mapsources" folder.
Here's an example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<localTileFiles>
<name>Google_Maps_Hybrid</name>
<sourceType>DIR_ZOOM_X_Y</sourceType>
<sourceFolder>D:\Tonton\maverick\tiles\googlemaps_hybrid</sourceFolder>
<backgroundColor>#000000</backgroundColor>
</localTileFiles>

Don't touch the 2 first lines.
In the third line, put whatever name you want, as for me I put "Google_Maps_Hybrid" (I didn't try to put a name with spaces, it may work though)
Don't touch the 4th line.
In the 5th line put the adress of where your folder with the maps you want to merge is located, as for me it's in
"D:\Tonton\maverick\tiles\googlemaps_hybrid"
Don't touch the 5th and the 6th lines.
Now, save the file in .xml format (if you use Notepad or something similar make sure that EOL conversion is set to "Windows") and put it in the "mapsources" folder that is in your main Mobile Atlas Creator folder.
Start Mobac and you will see that you have now a new field in the Map Source section.
Select the new map source and make an atlas, that's it!!!
Hope this helps:-)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks for the info!