The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Updated phone - can't access maps. How to update ap?

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Geoff

Updated phone - can't access maps. How to update ap?

Post by Geoff »

Hi,
I bought Alpine Quest a couple of years ago, through your website, and love it!!
I've just had a new phone (Xperia M2 Kit-e-Kat4.4!) and transferred my V1.3.7 to it and completed registration without any problems. But I cannot get to the maps - they are in a folder on the external SD card \ Alpine quest\maps. However I try to point the ap at this folder I can't accomplish it (the browser doesn't seem to see it).

Also - how can I update to the latest version (without going through a second payment).

Can you help please.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Updated phone - can't access maps. How to update ap?

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your interest in our application.

You should try to update the application as much as possible, to enjoy last improvements and bug fixes. You just have to freely download the last version from here, install it (it will replace the previous one, and keep all most settings) and activate it like you did for the 1.3.7. Complete instructions are available here.
Alternatively, you can also download the Lite version from Google Play, and activate it using the same way.

Concerning your issue with the maps, note that applications on Android 4.4 cannot modify the external SD card anymore like before. You must either use your internal memory, or use a specific folder on the SD card. Using the last app version, open the application settings, then in the "Storage device" preference you'll be able to choose a suitable folder. Restart the application so it creates this folder, then copy all your old files within this new used folder using your computer (do note use an Android file explorer to copy files on the SD card).
Here is the online help on the storage setting: http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/1.4/settings/storage

Let me know if you have more issues.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Thanks for the fast response.
I've worked through the suggestions downloaded, installed and registered the apk file - no problems.

The storage device location for the SD card only gives me the option of choosing "free" rather than "full" though? I quit the programme and tried powering off the phone but same result. It also shows an open padlock next to another file path below it terminating in "alpinequest".
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
The padlock means that this location cannot be used with Android 4.4 (as explained before), but some data has been found there.

The app uses a folder ending by ".free" because you got it from the website (as opposed to the paid version from Google Play), but it's just a name, it won't change anything since you've registered the application.
So if you move all your data in that folder, it will work fine.
Be also careful that if you un-install the application, Android will delete this folder so you'll loose all your data (on-board maps, stored maps, landmarks, ..).

Let me know.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

All done and dusted! :P
Very many thanks for quick and accurate solution to my problem - I should have found the info about Android 4.4 myself, sorry.
Looking forward to using the latest version.

I highly recommend Alpine Quest, both the application and the top quality help via the Forum. Brilliant.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks a lot for your feedback!