The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Landmarks: unable to save a waypoint

Something wrong? Report it here
vieuxdelamontagne

[closed] Landmarks: unable to save a waypoint

Post by vieuxdelamontagne »

At some time during the last month or two, I have lost the ability to save a waypoint. An attempt to do so yields: (1) "Information: The requested action 'create-local-waypoint' failed..." (2) "An error occurred. Failed to save the file to '[filename].wpt'. Throws: java.io.FileNotFoundException Message: /storage/extSdCard/alpinequest/landmarks/[filename].wpt: open failed: EACCES (Permission denied)" . Screenshots available on request; e-mail ***. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S III, SPH-L710, hardware version L710.14, Android 4.4.2.

(Je viens de suivre un petit cours en la littérature du Québec; donc je veux essayer d'expliquer mon problème en français.) Depuis un ou deux mois je ne peux plus créer des repères. Lorsque j'essaye de le faire je reçois: (1) "Information: The requested action 'create-local-waypoint' failed..." (2) "An error occurred. Failed to save the file to '[filename].wpt'. Throws: java.io.FileNotFoundException Message: /storage/extSdCard/alpinequest/landmarks/[filename].wpt: open failed: EACCES (Permission denied)" . Les captures d'écrans sont disponibles si ça aide; prière de m'envoyer un courriel à *** . Je me sers d'un Samsung Galaxy S III, SPH-L710, hardware version L710.14, Android 4.4.2.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Landmarks: unable to save a waypoint

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi (I answer in English since we're not in the French section but your translation was perfect!).

This issue is due to Android 4.4.2 (you should have lost edition after upgrading to Android 4.4.2): applications can no longer write anywhere on the SD card.

It means you've to use your internal device memory, or a particular folder on the SD card (so you've to move all your data in that folder). Be careful that this new folder is now deleted by Android when you remove the application.
Here is a longer explanation, and a how to change your settings to correct this: http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/1.4/settings/storage

Let me know if you hanve any issue,
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !

Post by Guest »

Thank you for a very quick and helpful reply. (I'll stay with English now!) I think I understand--but it seems I will have a problem (with Android 4.4, not with AlpineQuest). On the Samsung S III my "internal" storage seems to be about 12 Go, and it's nearly full (mostly with apps installed by my service provider that I cannot remove unless I root the device, which I don't want to try to do while it is still under warranty). My SD card still has a good deal of free space, and, in any case, I must place my AlpineQuest maps there, as they are often rather large. Is the .IDX file necessarily in the same folder as the .aqm map file?

Thank you.

--Bill
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
In the link given before there is a part that explains how to setup the app so it still uses the SD card (you just have to change the 'Storage device' setting in the application settings and restart the app).
However it will be in another folder, but still your SD card (so after you'll have to move you maps in this new folder so the app can have write access).

If you only use AQM maps, it should work anywhere since the app just read these maps (if the .IDX are present, they will be used but they are not edited anyway, if not, the loading will just be a little longer).

Post by Guest »

Thank you once again. I did see your explanation of where and how to continue to use the SD card, and I shall go through the procedure to rearrange my storage in order to comply with the new Android constraint. I suppose Google/Android are justifying this constraint as a security improvement; it would be nice if Google seemed to be equally concerned about their users' privacy. Oh, well. And I shall try to drop a nice comment about AlpineQuest on Google Play--if I can do so without compromising my privacy.

--Bill
vieuxdelamontagne

Well, I'm back again, with apologies. None of my usual file managers (file explorers) will now permit me to create any folder anywhere on my SD card. From what I can find posted to the main Android forum, this is an intentional restriction with Android 4.4.2. The first question, of course, is whether developers of apps for Android have enough influence with Google to have this restriction removed. The second question is, if I find any way whatsoever to create /storage/extSdCard/Android/Data/psyberia.alpinequest.full, will it be necessary to move (somehow) all of my existing AlpineQuest folders and files into that folder?

--Bill (vieuxdelamontagne)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
I don't think Google will remove this new limitation.
It has been added so the SD card stays clean and all app data is removed when you remove the app itself (so you don't have lots of folders of removed apps remaining everywhere). In fact, it's not a bad idea, but it has just been added without any information (to both users and developers)...
Also, this limitation doesn't concern the internal memory, which is now the main memory since new devices offer a large amount of built in memory (often as large as SD cards). This memory is faster and is always available, so should be used by apps in priority.

Concerning your particular issue, AlpineQuest should create the folder and store it's data without you having anything to do.
But yes you'll have to manually copy your old data if you want to restore it (including stored maps, landmarks, etc., you can just override everything in the new folder). You should do it from your PC with your device linked with USB, so can edit everything you want...
vieuxdelamontagne

Thank you once again for your helpful reply. I have complete success today! For the benefit of anyone else who may look at this thread I'll add that the most important step was to use the utilities on the PC to fix the file organization on the gizmo after attaching it via USB cable.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Perfect, thanks for the feedback!