The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[done] Calories and "dashboard stats"

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Craggy

[done] Calories and "dashboard stats"

Post by Craggy »

I would really like it if there was a rough calories burned stat on the stats page for a hike. Based on user weight (inc backpack) and distance/elevation.

Also, it would be extremely useful to have the ability to calculate stats for a set period, (start and end date) for things such as total distance traveled, total inclinr, total calories... etc

Muchos gracias!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Calories and "dashboard stats"

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
I'll have a look at the calories computation, but technically it's quite easy to add this in the details panel. There is already some stats settings so the user weight could be added in them.
Concerning the period computation, you mean inside a track (like a sub-period computation), or over multiple tracks?
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
craggy

Post by craggy »

Hi,

You may want to check this page: hikingscience.blogspot.co.uk/p/calculate-calories-burned_22.html
It has interesting science on the process of calculating calories based on distance and elevation. (Most notably is the realization that time plays a very small part in calorie burn (most hiking apps tend to do a simple time based formula, which is a shame, given the sheer amount of data available to it))

Regarding the dashboard stats for timeframes, I mean across multiple trips. I.e. so I can calculate how many miles I have hiked in the last 6 months, or how many calories I have burned in the 2 weeks.

Many thanks for the quick replies.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look at that.
For the stats, ok, a similar feature has been asked (see here, point 2) and planned.
Craggy

Post by Craggy »

I am VERY impressed!

Extremely quick implementation of a new feature, many thanks!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

No problem!
It was interesting to add this.
I have also used the same process to compute extra burned calories due to elevations than the one in your link (the detail is given in AlpineQuest). However I haven't added the backpack part. I haven't found relevant information on that, and the previous calculator only adds its weight to the user one, which I consider to be wrong (but you can do that in AlpineQuest by specifying the total weight in the user weight field).
Thanks!
Craggy

Post by Craggy »

Thanks,

Adding backpack weight to the user weight is an effective enough way of getting the extra work involved recorded. I will just weigh myself fully clothed with my backpack on and use that as a figure.
calorie burn is far from an exacct science and depends on so many other factors (temprature, general fitness etc) that a caveat that the figure is very rough should always be taken.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I agree that common computations are just approximations, but the idea behind the user weight (as far as I understand) is to take into account the potential of energy of its body. I mean that a thin person (say 60KG) with a 30KG backpack will not burn as much calories that a 90KG one, even with no backpack...
CRider

Post by CRider »

Hi,
I use AQ for mountain biking. I guess the burned calories differ from hiking.
What about the relevance of this computation for mountain biking ?
Best regards.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Yes you're right calories consumption will be very different from what you really use while biking.
I'll need have to see if precise data is available for biking, I haven't found anything really relevant yet (I mean other than "mountain biking consume approximately X calories per hour").
If you have any data, let me know.
Craggy

Post by Craggy »

I see what you mean about the differences between total user weight and the difference between calorie burn. The basal burn alsone would end up being significant over a prolonged hike.
CRider

Post by CRider »

Hi,
AlpineQuest wrote:I'll need have to see if precise data is available for biking, I haven't found anything really relevant yet (I mean other than "mountain biking consume approximately X calories per hour").
If you have any data, let me know.
No, I don't know how to compute the calories consumption for mountain biking. The weight of the bike should play an important role.
Anyway, you will need a setting to select the mode for calories consumption (hiking, biking, no computation).
Best regards.