The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Alpinequest can't find stored maps

Something wrong? Report it here

[closed] Alpinequest can't find stored maps

Post by Guest »

I am using version 1.4.1 on Sumsung Galaxy Note 1 and have enjoyed many walks guided by this excelent app, however it now can't find the stored maps. With the 1.4.1 update the stored maps apparently disappeared and I have relied on online maps.
I have aslo recently updated to Android 1.4.1.

When linked to computer the maps show as being where they have always been in /card/alpinequest/maps.

When I use the phones own file explorer it show the maps as being in /storage/extSdCard/alpinequest/maps and landmarks are in the landmark folder, however there is another directory /storage/sdcard0/external_sd/alpinequest/maps which is empty, as are the other folders.

Both directories include the cache, landmarks, logs, maps folders. I note that Alpinequest appears to be the only App using the storage/scard0/external_sd/ directory.

In Aplinequest the explore maps Onboard maps shows a path of /sdcard/external_sd/alpinequest/maps where map and landmark folders are empty.
Under Settings I can't manualy set the path to find the directory containing the maps and automatic is not finding them, I assume looking at the /storage/sdcard0/ path. If I delete these folders they autiomaticaly re-appear.

Can you help?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Alpinequest can't find stored maps

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and sorry for the late answer.
The external memory management is quite confusing on Android, especially because it handles the "external memory" as being either on the device or on the SD memory card, depending on the versions and manufacturers.

Since locating on-board maps is a recurring issue, I have rewritten and completed the online help on this subject:
http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/1.4/maps/onboard-use

Concerning your particular configuration, and since your maps are located in the folder "/storage/extSdCard/alpinequest/maps", you should specify the SD card path setting as "/storage/extSdCard/".

After re-starting the application, you should see them and able to remove the other empty folders.

I guess AlpineQuest is using "/sdcard/external_sd/alpinequest/maps" because it should have been the SD Card path before your Android update.

Let me know if it works fine after that.
Best rergards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !

Post by Guest »

Thank you, that worked and Alpinequest can now access the stored maps again.

Not sure if the creation of the dupicate directories was due to updating Android or not but was rather confusing, especailly with a another set apprearing within the alpinequest direcrtory itself (/alpinequest/alpinequest/maps etc) and log files, stored maps and landmarkls all going to different directories.

I obviously need to explore the directory stucture a bit more to understand what is going on, but now to have moved all files to one of the directories and deleted the rest.
I have aslo updated to your latest release and all seems to be working fine.

Thanks for a great app
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback.
Best regards.
DIDDY

Re: [closed] Alpinequest can't find stored maps

Post by DIDDY »

Hi since the very latest Android version to 4.1.2 my Alpineqeust will not recognise any memory cards i use to store maps on.
The maps are there but AQ says
no memory card present,functionalities will be limited.
Please Help. :(
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
Have you located the place where was stored your AlpineQuest data?
You can try to use a Android file explorer (like the free Astro or ES file explorer) to browse your memory and try to locate your SD card.
Here another thread about a similar problem which has recently been resolved.
Let me know if you don't manage to do something.
Best regards

Post by Guest »

Ive deleted all alpine quest cache, log etc files by accident. will a re-purchase sort it?
Cheers
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
If you have only un-installed AlpineQuest, all your maps and landmarks remains on your SD card. By re-installing the application, you will be able to access them again.
However if you have really deleted all the files, there is unfortunately no way to retrieve them...
Let me know
Best regards