The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Memory map files

It's all about maps...
Noxid

Memory map files

Post by Noxid »

Can alpinequest use the latest memory map files format QC3 / DRM encrypted QCT ?.
I would be using them on a HTC Wildfire.

Noxid
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Memory map files

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
No sorry .QC3 maps are not supported, only .QCT ones are.

You're right to ask, I will update the application description, cause it's not specified.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
jamesm

Post by jamesm »

Is it possible to support non-encrypted QC3 files? The format isn't very complicated (no more so than the original QCT) files. I've decrypted some of my own and it would be nice to be able to use them in something like AlpineQuest. Memory Map don't seem to supply any maps in old QCT format anymore so people can't buy their maps to use in AQ now, I'd think that's something you'd want people to be able to do (especially now MM have released an android version - although luckily for you it's not very good, but it can at least load new maps).

James
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
Ok I will have a look at this new format. I didn't know about the ability to decrypt them.
I won't be able to do it for the next version, but I'll try to do it for the next one.
Best regards
divil

Post by divil »

The adding of QC3 support would be a great feature...as James mentions the Android Memory Map app is pretty bad no where near as good as AlpineQuest!
chrisb1

Post by chrisb1 »

Hi.
I'm new to this app and was wondering why my memory map files (qct) look perfect when using with memory map (on my iPad/iPhone) but look out of focus when viewing in Alpine Quest (full paid version). I have loaded them into the application as instructed by the 'help' icon but am stumped as to why the quality isn't present (map display set to highest etc). I'm using a HTC One x. Please could anybody confirm this as an issue or as the norm. Apart from this the application is perfect for me.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
MemoryMap maps are displayed in full quality only at the maximum zoom value. If you are zoomed out, only a part of the data is read for performance reasons.
The official MemoryMap application uses a copyrighted library to decode MM maps, that we don't use for legal reasons. That may also be an explanation of the quality difference.
If you think that your maps look bad even at maximum zoom, you can post a screen-shot or a picture so I can see if there really is an issue with your display.
Best regards

Here is 3 screenshots of a MemoryMap, the right one is the full zoom one.
(screen shots removed)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
The display quality of the MemoryMap maps in version 1.3.6 has been improved. The display should not be slower, even some times faster.
Here are screenshots of the same area with version 1.3.6 (previous screenshots were taken with version 1.3.5)
Best regards
rob2081

Post by rob2081 »

AlpineQuest wrote:Hi,
Ok I will have a look at this new format. I didn't know about the ability to decrypt them.
I won't be able to do it for the next version, but I'll try to do it for the next one.
Best regards
I'll add another voice requesting handling of qc3 files. I've got a few of these that I'd like to use in AlpineQuest without resorting to converting them to some other interim format.

Whilst offering to decrypt encrypted maps might be complex from a legal perspective (although technically its not hard and has already been demonstrated elsewhere, and still requires a legitimate license), not all QC3 maps are encrypted. The file structure is quite similar then to the legacy QCT files. The tiles are bigger and the tile compression algorithm has been changed (optimised).

Specification:
http://www.etheus.net/media/e/ed/The_Qu ... n_1.03.pdf

I have a working python proof-of-concept implementation of a parser but its slooowwww.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
I already tried to support this format last year, but couldn't manage.
I have made the changes to handle it, but the decoded images are not all completely valid for display. It seems that they need another processing that is not documented.
If you want more information please contact me by email.
Best regards
manchon

Post by manchon »

hello, on May 30 2013
I've bought AlpineQuest due to its capabilities reading and processing MemoryMap maps
Sample from Memory Map (France IGN 25000) is compatible, QCT format
but paying maps France IGN 25000 are not working, due to QC3 format !
I'm sorry, but this is not very fair
I've you planned to do somethng, or at least don't leave mention : compatible with Memory Map !
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
The Google Play description clearly stands:

Code: Select all

• Memory-Map support (QuickChart .qct maps only, test your maps using the free version first);
or in the French description:

Code: Select all

• Cartes Memory-Map (QuickChart .qct seulement, testez d'abord vos cartes avec la version gratuite);
Anyway contact me by email so we can find a solution.
Best regards
manchon

Post by manchon »

Excellent support from AlpineQuest ;
Problem is coming with MemoryMap new format maps ...
I've been proposed with a running solution in order to have on board 1:25000 France Maps
thanks again ! Good trips :)
Manchon
Aqm-S2

Post by Aqm-S2 »

Follow topic in Forum francophone called "cartes memory-map"...