The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Bluetooth heart rate sensors

Any question about the app? Ask it here
inode

Bluetooth heart rate sensors

Post by inode »

It would be nice to have also the compatibility and recording of data avaible via some bluetooth heart rate sensors like Polar H7 http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/ ... ate_sensor

The same improvement should be great in the stats pages.

Best regards,

inode
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Bluetooth heart rate sensors

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Yes you're right that would be very nice. I will have closer look at it, and see if I can find some specifications.
The most difficult part will be to get one for the test.
I'll let you know.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
inode

Post by inode »

If you would I can be the betatester ;)

I got a rooted phone and I can do tests for you. Otherwise you can bought one, it's about 50 euros.

Best regards,

inode
inode

Post by inode »

My fault, the H7 sensor can't be used with android (Bluetooth smart is required).

You need to use Polar WearLink®+ transmitter with Bluetooth® http://www.polar.fi/en/products/accesso ... _Bluetooth

You can get more information about the protocol etc at:

http://code.google.com/p/mytracks/sourc ... s/sensors/

inode
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks for the update.
I'm really interested in adding this feature, however there are few important things I really want to add before, so it won't be available quite soon (at best, in one or two months).
Best regards
sl91

Post by sl91 »

:) I have bought and dowloaded the full version today and I have to say one word: congrats: what a piece of software. I have installed it on my Samsung Galaxy Note II (4.1.2 Jelly bean). It seems to work smoothly, including for the marginal functions such as the real pressure reading. Concerning the hart sensor, I am using (fot two years now) the popular Zephyr HxM BT. It is a bluetooth model that has a built in rechargeable battery and an accelerometer. The advantage of this last one is the ability to work even when ther is no GPS signal (In door fitness for example). This (cheap) device works perfectely with Google Mytracks ans Sportstrack pro. Do you think that it can be implemented in AlpineQuest ?

I have a second question concerning the pressure sensor calibration. It would be very convinient if the software is able to download the real pressure corresponding to the current location on a forecast database for example. To my knowledge, there is no Android App that is able to do this.

Best regards

And again let me say a big Bravo (in French)
Last edited by sl91 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

sl91 wrote:I have a second question concerning the pressure sensor calibration. It would be very convinient if the software is able to download the real pressure corresponding to the current location on a forecast database for example. To my knowledge, the is no Android App that is able to do this.
+1.
S Baro (a Samsung app) works exactly that way.

Thanks.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi and thanks for your feedback.
Supporting BT heart sensors is still in the pipe, I really want to support them soon.

Concerning the barometer, my plan is to use the GPS to calibrate the elevation. It's widely used now, and doesn't need an internet access. By using it, the barometer could be automatically and continuously calibrated. Technically it's not so easy to do it in a efficient way, that's why I haven't done it yet, however it's a must have for sure. Let me know what do you thing about this solution.

Best regards
CRider

Post by CRider »

AlpineQuest wrote:Concerning the barometer, my plan is to use the GPS to calibrate the elevation. It's widely used now, and doesn't need an internet access. By using it, the barometer could be automatically and continuously calibrated.
Using the GPS for the initial calibration makes sense before riding / hiking.
But why would you need to continuously calibrate the barometer ?
Regards.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
Sorry, I'd rather say 'regularly' instead of 'continuously'...
The pressure can change fast in mountain, so a single calibration at start-up is not enough. Without that, after an hour, if the elevation is higher, it's difficult to know if it's due to a real move, or just to a pressure drop.
Having an updated calibration can also give tips on the weather that is coming.
Best regards
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

The GPS tracker of AlpineQuest 1.3.8 now records pressure values as well.
These values are auto-calibrated using the GPS altitudes, and used to compute a much more precise altitude (both GPS and barometric altitudes can be traced and compared in graphics).
The result is quite impressive. Note also that the elevation gain will be bigger due to the detection of all the small elevation changes by the barometer...
This is an initial support, don't hesitate to share your comments and tests.

I hope to work on the heart rate sensors soon.
Thanks a lot for your help.
karolleon

Post by karolleon »

Hi, any update on adding Bluetooth sensor support? The statistics AlpineQuest gives for a recorded track are very detailed and useful but some of them would be so much more accurate if sensors were supported. I have been thinking of using my smartphone to replace my bike computer and for that I would need a navigation app with sensor support (especially heart rate, but cadence sensor support would also be helpful).
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
I totally understand, unfortunately I don't have any update.
I have so many requests...
karolleon

Post by karolleon »

Truly, quite an extensive list :-)