The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

AlpineQuest: track recording: energy consumption - comparison with other apps?

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Hasse

AlpineQuest: track recording: energy consumption - comparison with other apps?

Post by Hasse »

Hi team, all,
Happy offlinemaps user since many years here :).

I am considering whether it's worth the effort buying AlpineQuest ... to obtain the track recording feature (aside because of the support of the good cause :) ).

Now I wonder...

I read you made the energy use of track recording as efficient as possible. Did you do some tests comparing e.g. flight mode recording energy use in AQ vs other apps... ?

Thanks!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: AlpineQuest: track recording: energy consumption - comparison with other apps?

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thank you for your interest in this app.

No, I did not make comparison tests with other apps (sorry I only use this one), I just made it simple for users to compare using their personal usage.

The application does record battery consumption (this is an old feature added back in 2021), and you can get the battery level graphic for all the tracks you record.
You'll see that the battery consumption greatly depends on how you use the app. When screen is on, the consumption is quite high. The app's "Explorer mode" does add approximately 1% per hour of battery usage.
On the other hand, screen off in airplane mode, the consumption of the device is less than 1% per hour (Galaxy S9).
If you make tests, be sure to start all of them from a full charge (or identical charge level, as it as a non negligible impact).

Hope it helps.

Ps I've attached a typical battery/network profile recorded by the app, and how the consumption is reported for recorded tracks.
device-2023-08-31-163114.jpg
(16.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
device-2023-08-31-163043.jpg
(13.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
geofactotem

Re: AlpineQuest: track recording: energy consumption - comparison with other apps?

Post by geofactotem »

This response is simply based on joint personal experience over a period of over a year.

My wife and I were both very happy viewranger users until it was taken over by outdooractive. Fortunately amongst the many moans about the new app, was one along the lines of forget Outdooractive use Alpinequest. I don't know who that was but I am extremely grateful to him. At this point it is relevant to point out that our usage objectives vary. Mine is typical with routes, tracks, waypoints etc and I use it to navigate. My wife is content to follow me and her objective is to record the distance and upload it to compare with others. She will walk a well known route with others but is yet to follow a route superimposed on her map.

Using identical phones, Honor 9, the battery usage much higher using outdooractive. Furthermore if she takes a photo it drops the track so she has to remember to end the track and then restart.
Regarding distances recorded they are very similar, sometimes AQ is slightly longer and other times slightly shorter.

Not in the least scientific just personal experience.

Regards
David