The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Map conversion

It's all about maps...
alexlong

Map conversion

Post by alexlong »

Hi, François.

Is there any way to convert the AQ calibrated map to some other format, e.g. kmz?

I now practise calibrating maps in AQ and I thought it would be a good idea to perform some of the accurate calibration on a PC, particularly in Google Earth and then work with this precisely calibrated map again in AQ.
The tools of AQ allow to do calibration, it is very convenient, but sometimes I would like to work on the PC, with the mouse on the big screen.

Well, KMZ iis more common, than AQ pgd.
What do you think about it?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Map conversion

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Alex,
Right now you cannot export maps from AQ.
But you can already do calibration on a PC and then use on AQ. For example with Google Earth. Just save your calibrated image in KMZ, and import this KMZ file in AQ.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Hi, thanks.
Just save your calibrated image in KMZ
So how to do this?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

After you import the image to calibrate in Google Earth (Add -> Image Overlay) and correctly calibrate the image, Right click on your image overlay on the left panel (Places) and select "Save place as..." -> .kmz.
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Francois, thank you.
But I thought I could upload the pgd file to Google Earth and do an accurate calibration.

Actually I meant the following - AQ converts a pgd file to kmz and later I may open this kmz in any application that supports this format and correct the calibration, if necessary, for example in Google Earth.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

No sorry this is not possible.
But if your pgd file is an image you've calibrated with the app, it means you can reuse the same original image to do your calibration on Google Earth. I though you wanted to calibrate an image with Google Earth then use it in AQ.
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Unfortunately, Google Earth doesn't recognize the pgd format. I even tried to rename pgd to jpg, but it's clear that nothing worked.
When I asked the question, I thought that if AQ can convert placemarks from its own format to gpx or kmz, then why not do it with maps? It is clear that this option is not for a wide range of users, since not all users convert placemarks from one format to another and so on.
Maybe you would consider converting pgd format to kmz?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

What I meant is import and calibrate in Google Earth the same image you imported in AQ for calibration.
If you want to calibrate an image in Google Earth, why do you want to use a .pgd map which is already calibrated, and not an image (.jpg).

Instead if doing this:
IMAGE -> Calibration in AQ -> PGD -> Export in KMZ -> Calibration in Google Earth -> KMZ -> Import in AQ
Why don't you do this?
IMAGE -> Calibration in Google Earth -> KMZ -> Import in AQ

The .pgd format is very different from the KMZ format, it support a huge number of projections that can be imported from ozf files, kmz file, geopackage files, etc. whereas the KMZ format only support one projection.
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Thank you!
Now I understand.

I apologise for being off-topic.
A user on 4pda writes that:
When zooming out, the 3 anchor points are shifted, only the upper left one stays in place.
Screenshots are also there:
https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?s=&show ... =123594084
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks Alex for the bug report. Could it be possible to share the map calibrated by the user with me, because I never had this problem and cannot reproduce it.
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thank you Alex, the problem will be fixed in the next beta version (you'll have to select "Calibrate" again to fix this problem on a map).