The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Lost map data

Something wrong? Report it here
Gerry

[closed] Lost map data

Post by Gerry »

For several years now I had been a happy user of AlpineQuest Pro, using it mostly offline in remote mountain areas (without mobile network) and also to keep a record of waypoints, itineraries etc...
Unfortunately, about two months ago, when I opened AlpineQuest, none of the recorded data were accessible any longer, AS IF they had been deleted from the external memory card on my smartphone.
Please note that I have never uninstalled AlpineQuest Pro at any time.

Questions:

1. Could it be that the problem is in any way linked to the use of the android version of MS Word?

2. Is it possible that the unaccessible/lost data are still on the external memory card?
If yes, is there a way of retrieving them and make them accessible again to AlpineQuest?

3. If no, is there a way to safeguard future downloaded maps, records of waypoints and tracks, such as to prevent another loss of these data?

Very grateful in advance for your help with the above issues.

Yours sincerely,

Gerry Polet
Namur, Belgium
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Lost map data

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thank you for your interest in this application.
1. Could it be that the problem is in any way linked to the use of the android version of MS Word?
No, this is new security enforcement in Android 11 (more technical details here)
2. Is it possible that the unaccessible/lost data are still on the external memory card?
Yes.
If the app cannot see them in the folder where they are, please move them into the application specific folder using an Android 11 compatible file manager.
For maps, it should be something like this: "/Android/data/psyberia.alpinequest.full/files/maps/"
For placemarks, it should be something like this: "/Android/data/psyberia.alpinequest.full/files/landmarks/"
It can be either on the internal device memory, or on the external SD card.
3. If no, is there a way to safeguard future downloaded maps, records of waypoints and tracks, such as to prevent another loss of these data?
In all cases, it's always use to backup your data, or sync it on the cloud so you never lost anything.

Le me know if you have additional questions.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Lost map data

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Here are some additional details on how to use data outside of the application folder in Android 11: https://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/ ... _and_above
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !