The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[resolved] "Unable to handle external content"

Something wrong? Report it here
GussyV

[resolved] "Unable to handle external content"

Post by GussyV »

Dear Dev:

1. I updated Offline Maps app from 3.6b to 3.9b.

2. I store all my data in Internal Storage (/storage/emulated/0/OfflineMaps/), so I set the storage location to Internal Storage, but when I tried to access my placemarks (.wpt, .rte, .are), the Placemarks explorers showed My Placemarks folders and subfolders but they were "empty".

3. I uninstalled 3.9b thinking it was just a bug that would be fixed later, then reinstalled 3.6b from a backup apk.

4. I once again set the storage location to Internal Storage (same path as above), but this time, when I checked the folders, some of the subfolders still showed "empty".

5. I opened my file manager and navigated to /storage/emulated/0/OfflineMaps/landmarks/ and found my file structure and contents (.wpt, .rte, .are) intact.

6. But when I clicked on an existing file that was not showing up in the app, and selected Open With ... Offline Maps, it returned the error message "Unable to handle external content".

Questions:

1. Does this mean that my reverting to an older version corrupted my files?

2. Why did this happen?

3. What can I do?

Please advise. Thank you!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: "Unable to handle external content"

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
The message you see is not about the files being corrupted, but a communication problem between your file manager and the app. OfflineMaps is not able to open the file that is provided by your file manager.
I guess you have Android 11, if it's the case then unfortunately it will be difficult to use the existing application folder due to new storage restrictions in this version of Android.
I'd advice you to install the latest version (3.9b) and move all the content of your existing application folder (/storage/emulated/0/OfflineMaps/) into the new default one (/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/net.psyberia.offlinemaps/file/). This way you'll be able to reuse all your data.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
GussyV

Re: "Unable to handle external content"

Post by GussyV »

Dear Dev:

Thank you so much for your responsiveness. Your suggestion worked!

I've been a loyal and satisfied user of Offline Maps for over 10 years now, so the thought of having to re-create a lot of map features created over that period was truly disheartening as you might imagine. But my trust in your support overcame the impulse to uninstall it and go searching for a substitute app, so ... Thank you!

Your app is immensely useful and really designed with users in mind, especially those who love making maps, and I shall continue to support its development.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: [resolved] "Unable to handle external content"

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Thank you for your feedback.

Please make regular backups of your placemarks, either manually or automatically (using any auto-sync app).
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !