The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Not all tiles load in large offline maps

Something wrong? Report it here
jbakosi

[closed] Not all tiles load in large offline maps

Post by jbakosi »

Hello,

First:
I have been doing some research on apps providing similar functionality, and I found AlpineQuest to be simply far superior among all.
Congrats! Keep up the awesome work!

Second:
I have an offline map with 15 zoom levels, altogether containing more than 400 000 tiles in a file of size ~3GB. At the highest zoom level AlpineQuest does not load all the tiles, instead a java-related error message appears in place of the missing tiles, some of them complaining about a variable cannot store a large enough number. It would be awesome if this problem could be fixed. I'm using Droid X. Let me know if I can be of more help in debugging. I can also put the file in question online for you to work with.

Thanks,
Jozsef
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Not all tiles load in large offline maps

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks a lot for your feedback.
I'm going to hike all next week but as soon I am back I'll look at this issue. Thanks to your description it should not be hard to fix it.
Sorry for the desagreement,
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I changed my mind about this issue, that's no so easy...
I created a 485,793 tiles map and didn't find any exceptions (I displayed map edges). I had a look at the code and didn't see something special either. So I added debug information for exceptions which will be available in next version.
But until then I will keep on searching to reproduce and fix it.
Best regards
jbakosi

Post by jbakosi »

Hmm... It might also be the difference in phones or OS. I'm using Droid X with 2.2.1 Android.

I can also put my file online for you to download so you can see if that reproduces the error. It's about 3GB though.
Let me know if you want it and I open the firewall.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
I didn't succeeded in reproducing this issue.
It would be great if someone that get some of these errors could send me the "alpinequest.log" file located in the AlpineQuest folder of the SD card.
Thanks a lot
rainman

Post by rainman »

Hi

I'm new to AlpineQuest and still using the Lite version. I've experienced the same problem: tiles not loaded in large map file. The map file is 1:50 000 topo map and > 3GB in size. Using latest version from Market. In the alpinequest.log the following exception is shown:

[20:32:49.393] *** SILENT EXCEPTION *** function 'loadTileContent', class 'psyCanvasTileLoaderThread', throws 'IOException' (Value too large for defined data type)
java.io.IOException: Value too large for defined data type
at org.apache.harmony.luni.platform.OSFileSystem.seek(Native Method)
at dalvik.system.BlockGuard$WrappedFileSystem.seek(BlockGuard.java:210)
at java.io.FileInputStream.skip(FileInputStream.java:325)
at psyberia.api.packer.streams.PsyAbstractInputStream.skip(PsyAbstractInputStream.java:36)
at psyberia.api.packer.reader.PsyFlatPackDataAccesser$Stream.gotoOffset(PsyFlatPackDataAccesser.java:143)
at psyberia.api.packer.reader.PsyFlatPackDataAccesser.prepareStreamForFile(PsyFlatPackDataAccesser.java:67)
at psyberia.api.maps.aqm.data.AqmMapData.getImageStream(AqmMapData.java:45)
at com.psyberia.alpinequest.mods.maps.providers.offline.formats.aqm.source.AqAqmMapSource.loadTileContent(AqAqmMapSource.java:208)
at com.psyberia.alpinequest.mods.maps.providers.offline.formats.aqm.source.AqAqmMapSource.loadTileContent(AqAqmMapSource.java:1)
at psyberia.api.canvas.psyCanvasTileLoaderThread._loadTileSynchroneously(psyCanvasTileLoaderThread.java:187)
at psyberia.api.canvas.psyCanvasTileLoaderThread.run(psyCanvasTileLoaderThread.java:128)

Please see whole log file here: http://ul.to/awygr5zz

Thank you for your effors on creating and supporting this magnificent application!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi and thanks a lot for your report.
I will finaly be able to do something with this issue. I'll let you know soon what I will be able to do with it, but it will be in next update.
Thanks again and best regards
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
I made some search about this issue and unfortunately it seems to be a system issue, referenced here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=21696. The system fails to navigate in files bigger than 2GB.
Based on the last comment it seems to be fixed for Android versions >= 3.0.
Right now I added a warn when the user is opening a file bigger than 2GB using Android < 3.0. In this configuration, the only workaround is to split big maps in smaller one (split the area not the levels).
I'll keep on searching to see if I could do something, and let you know.
Sorry for that,
Best regards