The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

display of the line of sight

Any question about the app? Ask it here
alexlong

display of the line of sight

Post by alexlong »

Hi, François!
4pda users ask:
From time to time there is a need to quickly find a particular landmark on the map after seeing it on the ground. For this, the device must be able to sight local objects and landmarks with the subsequent display of the line of sight in the form of a vector line on the map (indicating its azimuth). For example, as in the Field Compass / Field Compass + applications:
Fiels compass / Fiels compass+
Field compass.jpg
(20.81 KiB) Downloaded 1575 times
I would like to have a sight in a separate window. That is, I draw a line on the subject, touch the screen, and the application remembers the azimuth.
Then I can open the map and see there the vector line of the taken azimuth.

And if (it would be ideal) to be able to store at least three intersections in memory, then you can determine the goals on the map using the triangulation method.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: display of the line of sight

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Alex,

This is already what is done when you select "Line" in the "Current heading display". The line of azimuth is displayed. You can move around to see when it goes over a particular landmark.

If you want to triangulate a point, just read the bearing using the previous method (for example 270°), then click on the map center -> Tools -> Search a location -> "Distance / Bearing" format and type your bearing (270°). For the distance in meters, just type 10000m (for 10 km). Press ok.
Do this 2 or 3 times at different points and your triangulated point is where the lines all cross.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

This is already what is done when you select "Line" in the "Current heading display". The line of azimuth is displayed. You can move around to see when it goes over a particular landmark.
Yes, I understand what you're talking about. And the user was offered exactly this option. But he said that this was not quite what he wanted. Therefore, I conveyed his request as he formulated it.

As to triangulate a point I will write on 4pda everything you said. Thank you so much!
just read the bearing using the previous method (for example 270°)
Could you please explain it to me again?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

From what I understand the result is the same. Maybe he's used to do it differently, but he must adapt or use this other app that does exactly what he wants.
Could you please explain it to me again?
Select "Line" in the "Current heading display", then turn on the compass. When the landmark you want to spot is in from of you, read the value in the info box (number 7 here).

Edit: because I'm gentle :D, I'll add a new search format that only ask the bearing (not the distance), so it will be even more simple to triangulate a point, only 3 taps.
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Thanks a lot!!!
Ingensor

Post by Ingensor »

Psyberia-Support

Hello!
I think it will be easier and faster if the current azimuth (compass if enabled) will be inserted in the search field, as is done with finding the coordinates (as in the screenshot)

burekbrigada

Post by burekbrigada »

Ingensor wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:06 pm I think it will be easier and faster if the current azimuth (compass if enabled) will be inserted in the search field, as is done with finding the coordinates (as in the screenshot)
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
was about to ask for the same :D
With azimuth value preloaded in search box, triangulation will be easy as in dedicated app
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I'll do that.
Ingensor

Post by Ingensor »

Hi again! :)

Could you add a check box "Reverse azimuth"? As the screenshot...
For example, a man lost and the GPS stops working. But one sees more objects in the distance, which can be found on the map. It includes a compass in the program leads to the center of the screen objects and paves the back azimuth, the intersection of which is the current location.

Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I add this to the wanted features list.
Ingensor

Post by Ingensor »

Thank...