The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[fixed] Question about Compass

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Ingensor

[fixed] Question about Compass

Post by Ingensor »

Hello!
I have a small question on the compass. In the settings I choose magnetic north, adding a point is set as a target. But different azimuths for some reason... (screenshot) Prompt, it is a bug, or it should be? Maybe I'm the wrong understand something... Thanks in advance!

Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Question about Compass

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
The compass has its own setting, so if you want the magnetic North pointed by the compass, click on the wheel icon and uncheck "Compute declination to get True North".
I agree that it's a bit disturbing, I'll see if I can improve things.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Edit: after more investigation, if you un-check the setting "Compute declination to get True North" previously cited, the green target arrow will point an incorrect direction (with an offset equivalent to the magnetic declination).
This will be fixed in the next update, sorry about that.
The values in the information boxes are correct though.
Ingensor

Post by Ingensor »

Thank you for your help! :)
Please check correctly - the "grid north". It seems, too, there is an error in the compass, probably not enough declination grid north? (screenshot)

Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I've just released a new beta version.
I think the problem with the grid bearing is the same, because you still use the green arrow as reference, but it actually does not take the magnetic declination into account.
Even if this error occurs in particular settings, I think it's quite important, so I'll now intensively test the current beta and if everything is fine I'll publish it as an official version before dong anything else.

Concerning the new version published:
- The type of north pointed by the compass red arrow is display in the bottom left of the compass view. It's either True or Magnetic North;
- On the map, all heading lines are based on the True North;
- Values given in the information boxes are based on the North selected in the main application settings.
Ingensor

Post by Ingensor »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:03 pm - On the map, all heading lines are based on the True North;
Please explain what this means? Possible translation errors ... Can the screenshot to show what "heading lines"? :roll:
Ingensor

Post by Ingensor »

Now the true and magnetic north are working properly, the compass shows the correct direction. Thanks a lot!!! :) :) :) :)
You can fix just grid north?

For example, you can add another box for calculating declination grid north (screenshot)
Or automatically take into account the decline of the grid north when selecting the settings grid north
Or do you think ... what would be better? I think since I have a grid north, the compass, and it should clearly show...

Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I've published a new beta version, you can now also choose to point the grid North with the compass arrow.
Ingensor

Post by Ingensor »

Hello!
Compass now really shows right! That's great!!! Thank you, thank you very much!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

But I noticed one oddity, a decline in the lower-left corner does not change (or calculated incorrectly) - screenshot attached...

Ingensor

Post by Ingensor »

In addition to the previous post:
1. In the information given declination, it probably refers to the true north, not magnetic north. (Purple line in the screenshot)
2. When the selected grid north declination because must match the value that is specified in the information window? As I understand it, now it is calculated: the decline of the true north minus declination grid north. It is right? Or inducing true north should not be taken? (In red in the screenshot)
3. Well and magnetic north, apparently without declination should be)))))
Sincerely, Ingensor :)

Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
I have added the type of North in the bottom right corner, so now it's clear which one is pointed by the red arrow.
Because of this, I can now always display the "Magnetic declination" in the bottom left corner. So you can have access to this value in all cases.

For the computation of the Grid North, you use another value which is called the "Grid convergence" (angle between the true and grid north). This value is given in the "center screen information" view. In your case it's 1.046°.

The "Compass" window is meant to be used as a real magnetic compass, ie showing the Magnetic north. A real compass never show you the true or grid north.
I have added some settings to show other types of norths to be more convenient, but this window is still dedicated to the compass and that's why the magnetic declination is always displayed even if you have selected something else.
Ingensor

Post by Ingensor »

Now I understand everything!
Thanks for the detailed explanation of the details and thank you for a job!!! :) :) :) :) :)
Ingensor

Post by Ingensor »

Good afternoon!
I noticed another oddity, if you enable the compass to point 1 and to go with him to the point 2 - it shows the declination for the point 1. (screenshot)
The solution - turn off and turn on the compass and ... Although the problem is not very critical, but you can fix it?

Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,

In fact, this is the wanted behavior.

It's a bit tricky, but this is why:
- In the "Screen center information" panel (on your left screenshot), you get the information at the screen center location. You can just move the map, and you can get this information anywhere.
- In the "Compass", the information is valid only at your real current location on earth. This is because the compass use the magnetic sensor of your device, which read the magnetic field at your current place. If you move the map center, the sensor will of course still give your the same value. So in this case the application must only use the magnetic declination at your real location. This is done by using the GPS location if available. If not available, it will use the screen center location, but will only update it when you turn on the compass.
Ingensor

Post by Ingensor »

I understand... Thank you for your support and excellent work!!!
:) ;)