The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Circular compass

Any question about the app? Ask it here
boowoo

Circular compass

Post by boowoo »

Hello,

The recent topic for radius ruler make me think to something a little similar but for the compass tool !
Currently, it's possible to display a compass on map like a classic arrow. It's OK but for various reasons, sometimes it's necessary to see always the center of the screen (localisation GPS)
Maybe it should be good to have two options for how is displayed the compass on the map (classic arrow or circular compass)
Picture attached for idea …
Circular compass.png
(362.53 KiB) Downloaded 1510 times
Possible if not too hard to implement ?
alexlong

Re: Circular compass

Post by alexlong »

The similar idea is also very much discussed in AlpineQuest section of 4pda Russian forum. ;)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Isn't it what you get if you check the option "Rotate the map (with compass)" ?

The problem if you don't rotate the map, but only the ruler, the ruler North do not show the map North and this may lead to confusion.
For example in your screenshot, the ruler shows the North at the top right, but the north is actually at the top of the screen.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

Hi,

In fact, the wanted behaviour of a circular compass should be the same than the current magnetic arrow.
Rotating the map isn't always a solution because texts on maps are often difficult to read when reversed or for usual preference.
It should be interesting to get an alternative with a circular compass because permiting to see easily the GPS geolocalisation arrow in the center of the screen (currently hiden when compass arrow is used).
I think that it should be no confusion because the rotating compass (arrow or circular) show always the real north and it's an option decided by the user !
Maybe, if you prefer, circular compass should be a little different than radius ruler for no confusion (i used it only for showing idea on screenshot ...)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

If you display the new circular scale over your first screenshot, you'll see that it's confusing to see to different North, South, ...
Maybe only another triangle showing the compass North (like the red one showing the map North) would be sufficient.
Anyway I've moved on another feature now so I've added this improvement in the wanted list for future.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

Psyberia-Support wrote:Maybe only another triangle showing the compass North (like the red one showing the map North) would be sufficient.
Yes, you are right and it's a very good idea, simple and useful. :D