The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Sun and Moon on compass dial

Any question about the app? Ask it here
burekbrigada

Sun and Moon on compass dial

Post by burekbrigada »

Very often magnetic compass on phones give wrong results. Actually, in addition to very expensive military equipment, only electronic compass i could believe is on some Garmin handhelds.
Fast and intuitive way to check if compass gives correct results is drawing Sun and Moon on compass dial - if sun [moon] is where display draw them, then compass works OK, if not it needs a calibration.
Competitor already [actually from ancient times] have this [attached cropped screenshot], though only Sun.
Adding Moon is even more useful - at the night landmarks usually are not visible, and only way to know if compass works OK is position of Moon. Though, adding Moon is probably harder than adding Sun, - i couldn't find correct formula for Moon position [contrary to Sun] after hour or so searching.

PS
I know that AQ should warn user if compass needs calibration, but that works only if compass is "crazy", not for "ordinary" cases"
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-05-02-11-55-50cropped.png
(162.05 KiB) Downloaded 840 times
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Sun and Moon on compass dial

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Yes that would be nice.
It's not the first time this is asked.
Added the to wanted features list.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !