The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

MOBAC & creating hiking maps

It's all about maps...
Searcher2

MOBAC & creating hiking maps

Post by Searcher2 »

I have always used MOBile Atlas Creator for making maps outside of the UK. A few weeks ago I made one using OpenStreetMap Hikebikemap.de as the MapSource. Now I can't see anything on screen on MOBac when I try to use this as a source. I have tried another PC and get the same. Is it me or has OpenStreetMap Hikebikemap.de stopped being freely accessible? The only source I can see which could be vaguely useful is "OpenStreetMap Public Transport" and this doesn't have hiking trails on them. If it has gone what does anyone else use for creating "zoomable" hiking maps? Currently I am specifically looking for maps for the Granada/Alpujarras region in Spain and Costa Rica.

Thanks!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: MOBAC & creating hiking maps

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
I don't know the current sources in MOBAC, however in AlpineQuest the map "hikebikemap.de" is available under the name "OSM HikeBike Map". See how to add here: https://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/ ... _maps_list
You can also add the "Spain Topo" maps for the Spain parts.
Hope it helps
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Searcher2

Post by Searcher2 »

Thanks for the reply. I have used the Alpinequest app to download the region in Spain I wanted on to my phone.... That's great. Previously I used MOBAC to create maps which I downloaded to PC, kept on the cloud for access anywhere, copied to my phone, backup phone and partner's phone (I am cautious) and removed them from respective phones once used to save space...leaving a backup on the cloud for future use. Where does the map get stored on my phone when I have downloaded using the app? Can I copy it to another phone? Is there a way of removing map areas from the phone if I don't need them in future apart from wiping all the downloaded map areas?

I am thinking that as I only download maps for specific hiking trips abroad I could

1. Clear my downloaded maps from my phone.
2. Download the map I want for my next holiday to my phone.
3. Copy the downloaded file to the cloud (e.g. in a folder with named corresponding to the map) and to any phone I want to have that map on.
4. Repeat for next holiday
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
You should have a look at the "workspace" feature: https://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/workspaces
Create a new workspace "XXX" for your next holidays, all data will be store in "[app folder]/datastore/workspaces/XXX".
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Searcher2

Post by Searcher2 »

Great. That sounds like what I want if I can simply copy the workspace directory to another mobile and use it on there... I will give it a go next time. There's so much to your app I just don't know what's there. Thanks!