The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Suppress "Network Operators" Alert

Any question about the app? Ask it here
infrared

Suppress "Network Operators" Alert

Post by infrared »

Hi Folks,

I was using AlpineQuest for the first time this weekend on a hike, and was very impressed by its functionality and ease-of-use.

Unfortunately, as I was walking out in the middle of nowhere, there was very limited and patchy 2G signal and my phone kept coming up with the "Network Operators" alert to tell me that other mobile networks (other than my own) were available in the area. This happened pretty much every time I went to look at my position in AlpineQuest...and I'm quite an impatient person!

Is there a way to suppress these alerts other than going into "Airplane Mode" - because I would like to have the reception when it's available?

Many thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Suppress "Network Operators" Alert

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your feedback.

Here are the few cases AlpineQuest can try to access networks:

Direct usages:
- When using an online maps to download new images (if the map is already cached on SD card, network is not used);
- When registering full version (Online Edition only, not versions from the Market).

Indirect usages:
- When using the Network geolocation, the system uses available connections to get a position;
- When using the GPS geolocation with A-GPS support, the system accesses the network to get a first location to speed up the GPS startup.

If you want to avoid network usages, you should try to:
- Use only offline maps or cached online maps;
- Use GPS geolocation after having deactivated the A-GPS support (I never tried that, here I screen-shots but I don't have this Android version).

Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !