The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Bluestacks (Android on Windows)

Any question about the app? Ask it here
ds47uk

[closed] Bluestacks (Android on Windows)

Post by ds47uk »

I have been experimenting with (OK playing with!) Bluestacks which allows you to run Andoid Apps (including AlpineQuest) on Windows. The main advantage as I see it is that in general Windows computers are faster than Andoid tablets, so if you want to download a large amount of maps for an upcoming trip, it is faster to do it on Windows. (At least that is how I have found it).

I'm not going to give you full instructions, but it you are that way inclined it may be worth the effort to give it a try. You create the AQ folder of files as usual (best to use a workspace), and then copy it acress from Bluestacks to a normal Windows folder using ES File Manager, and then across to your tablet via USB.

Incidentally Bluestacks is completely free.

have fun!!
David
Yemble

Re: Bluestacks (Android on Windows)

Post by Yemble »

Thanks for the heads-up. I wonder if this would be a more efficient platform for doing batch map area downloads (ie. Ethernet rather than WiFi) ?
ds47uk

Re: Bluestacks (Android on Windows)

Post by ds47uk »

@Yemble
I would think it would be - it depends on each individual's installation. I use WiFi for both Windows and Android so my speed gain is purely on the processing power of Windows over Andoid. Another advantage of course is - set a large map download going on Windows and you can let it get on with it, and do other things. Worth a try!!
Mareake

Re: [closed] Bluestacks (Android on Windows)

Post by Mareake »

Hello! I just want to ask, every time I run bluestacks on my windows my computer getting slowly to connect on wifi. What can I do to fix this issue? Thanks!
ds47uk

Post by ds47uk »

@Mareake
Bluestacks takes a lot of computing power, so EVERYTHING! runs slowly under Bluestacks - it depends on how powerful your computer is. I think you will just have to wait... or buy a bigger computer!

David
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Finally got round to trying BlueStacks 4 out with AQ.

I really don't like the BS4 interface as it is far too tied down. It also seems to be a vehicle for flogging games, which I have zero interest in. That said, I thought that its performance was nippy enough, although I've got it installed on a dedicated SSD.

As for AQ, well it works OK, but there are some caveats. BS4 does not have external SD emulation built in, which is a serious flaw IMHO. So you are limited to the emulated ROM size of 64Gb. Not large enough for me though as I want to use it to refresh my full OSGB map cache.

There is a utility, BSTweaker, which is supposed to allow you to resize the emulated ROM, but unfortunately this particular function is not yet implemented in BS4.

So as things stand, BS4 has potential with AQ, but not with its current storage limitations.
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Yemble wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:11 pm There is a utility, BSTweaker, which is supposed to allow you to resize the emulated ROM, but unfortunately this particular function is not yet implemented in BS4.
This has now been partially fixed in BS v4.60 / BSTweaker v5.1060, where you can now resize upto 128Gb.

Hint, if you are going to re-size (and possibly root) BS4, then do this BEFORE spending anytime installing apps, such as AQ, since these processes will wipe all of your data. Only when you have re-configured your BS4 environment and proved that it all still works, including PlayStore, should you spend any serious time with AQ map configuration.

It took me several attempts to get a 128Gb emulation working with both PlayStore and AQ, but now it is working great with my complete OSGB 1:25K map!