The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Is there an online account?

Any question about the app? Ask it here
VaTrailRider

Is there an online account?

Post by VaTrailRider »

Hello,

I recently bought the paid for version of AlpineQuest, and I saw some (rather vague) references to an online account associated with this app? Is that correct? If so, how do I access that?

I have looked under "landmarks" and then "explore landmarks) and then "online landmarks" and I created a username and password via the app. I see there is a section now that is titled "my friends," but I have no idea what that is for or how to use it. I see no reference to it in the instructions on the website. Could someone tell me what this is used for?

Basically, what I am looking for is the ability to upload routes and tracks and waypoints to an online account and be able to give people a link to it for them to view the route or waypoint, similar to what ViewRanger or the (soon to be defunct) TrimbleOutdoors Navigator Pro does. Is this possible with this app?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Is there an online account?

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your support.
There is kind of online user account where you can store waypoints. I do not talk a lot about it and didn't make any help on it yet because it's quite limited and require additional work.
For now, you can only use this account to store waypoints and share them with other users (via the "friends" list and public visibility folders).
You cannot currently upload tracks or other items. This is planned, but I cannot tell you yet what will exactly be available...
Sorry about that.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
VaTrailRider

Post by VaTrailRider »

Well, that is disappointing. Except for that ability, I think your app here is quite on par with TrimbleOutdoors Navigator Pro. I really like this app, and I do hope to see something of this nature in the future. For now, I will upload the .gpx files to my account at MyTopo and print out maps from there. It is quite a bit less convenient, though.....one thing that could make it more convenient is to be able to export a track as a .gpx file a bit more easily. Currently, I find it confusing to do so, and am struggling to find an easy way to transfer it from my phone to my computer when my phone is plugged into my computer. Any tips on doing so?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
It's true that an online account would be more convenient...
When I need to export a track, I personally use Dropbox (free), to share files between my phone and my computer. It's very easy, once a track is exported, I select "share" and add it to dropbox in 2 clicks. One second after it appears on my PC...
See more details here: http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/l ... _landmarks.
Note that you can also export any track stats or map as images from the application.
Let me know if you need more details on anything
Best regards
VaTrailRider

Post by VaTrailRider »

Thank you so much for your prompt replies. So wonderful to have a prompt and dedicated developer to answer questions. I've been trying out 7 or 8 apps of this nature, and two of them I've uninstalled because I could not get any support or questions answered. As for the rest, by far, this one is the best and most useful app. Have some sort of attached online account where we can upload, store, and edit maps on the larger screen would make it perfect, but I understand (I am a website developer and a good friend owns a hosting company) that something like that is going to be a more complicated and expensive move, but I hope it happens in the future and will be interested and watching your future updates and additions to this software. I've been reading through some of the other threads here and there is much information and helpful tips and ideas for future releases.

I am pleased to find an app that allows me to layer maps (brilliant) and has such a user-friendly interface. Thanks for all your hard work on this.
jputte

Post by jputte »

Dear,
Great app, I use google drive to "share" my gpx files, but how can I import from google drive? Both are important.
thanks, Jan.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

On most devices you can simply open your GPX file from Drive and choose the application in the list.
If it's not possible to do so, download the GPX file on your device for example in the Downloads folder, and open it as explained here.
karolleon

Post by karolleon »

Hi. First of all, I would like to thank you for a truly great app. I was glad I could support its development by paying that modest fee for the premium version. This app combines all the features which I have been looking for in so many other apps. I love how I can create a track or landmarks in so many different ways, choose from so many map providers, how quick and responsive the app is.

Back to the topic, though. I suppose one of the problems is the infrastructure and costs of mainting it to store the tracks of many users. Would it then be possible to introduce a sync-to-Dropbox/Google Drive/OneDrive feature? Right now, to export a saved track to Google Drive and import it from there to an external service one needs to tap on multiple buttons. It's a hassle. I, for example, often use AlpineQuest to plan a route but then I need to import it to Polar Flow Sync in order to use the track on my GPS navigation device.

I imagine the sync feature could work this way:
- the user chooses the service and the landmarks folder to sync
- every time an item (a route, a landmark) is saved to that folder, it gets exported and sent to a cloud service automatically
ds47uk

Post by ds47uk »

Hi,
I do exactly that by using an Android app called DropSync. There are also DriveSync and OneSync. The free versions only allow you to sync one folder pair but the paid version (about £5 / $5 / €5) lets you sync as many as you want. So on returning home from a walk as soon as the tablet connects to WiFi it synchronises all the AQ folders onto Dropbox!

Hope this helps
David
karolleon

Post by karolleon »

Interesting, thanks for that option. Would be nicer to have it built-in into AlpineQuest, though.
karolleon

Post by karolleon »

Just realised that, actually, one could achieve the same without an additional app if there was a possibility to change the location of the landmarks and recorded tracks folders: one could then point them to a location inside a folder watched by DropBox/OneDrive (etc.) and get those services to sync them automatically. I am not sure but I think it's not currently possible. Seems like a simple change in the app, though.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi, actually you can save your points everywhere you want. The landmarks folder is only the default one, but you can use the top/left menu to select another folder and create your points there.
Recorded tracks however cannot be saved somewhere else. I'll see if I can add an option for this.
karolleon

Post by karolleon »

Thank you, that would be great.