The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Accuracy

Any question about the app? Ask it here
sacha

Accuracy

Post by sacha »

Hello,
I was wondering, I used my Xperia Z (A-GPS) with AQ to get data of the field for my masters degree PhD, what is the accuracy of the measurement ? Does the +/- 3 m really mean something scientifically ?

Thanks

Sacha
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Accuracy

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your interest in our application.
Here is how the Android system define the accuracy, I guess it's the answer you would like:
The estimated accuracy of this location, in meters.

We define accuracy as the radius of 68% confidence. In other words, if you draw a circle centered at this location's latitude and longitude, and with a radius equal to the accuracy, then there is a 68% probability that the true location is inside the circle.

In statistical terms, it is assumed that location errors are random with a normal distribution, so the 68% confidence circle represents one standard deviation. Note that in practice, location errors do not always follow such a simple distribution.

This accuracy estimation is only concerned with horizontal accuracy, and does not indicate the accuracy of bearing, velocity or altitude if those are included in this Location.
Let me know if you need more details.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !