The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

ETA for end of route

Any question about the app? Ask it here
walkerm

ETA for end of route

Post by walkerm »

Using 1.4.14
I previously used MM tracker. It has a feature which I used a lot. If you had a gpx route & selected 'follow' it would show ETA for completion of your route, changing the estimate as you walked.
I generate a route in Memory Map & export it as a .gpx file to AlpineQuest. 'Control time' says you have to time tag a waypoint to do this. How can this be set up in AlpineQuest? I run location tracker as I walk, and it shows 'Remining on path' on the screen, but 'ETA' is blank. MM tracker did not require any change to .gpx file to get the arrival time at the end of the route based on the speed we were walking. It could to be set to show the actual time for end of walk (preferred) or time in hours to finish it.
Step by step instructions of how to do this in AlineQuest would be useful.
The changes you have made recently to AlpineQuest have improved it greatly!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: ETA for end of route

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
AlpineQuest's 'Control time' is a different feature. I allows you to see the progress on a track depending on the time from the start (that's why it requests time data, like when you record yourself a track with the tracker).

What you need is called 'Follow path' or 'Follow route'. Just display any route/track, click on it and select it's name, and select 'Follow route'. You'll have few settings, you can leave the default values. Then a view will appear, and as you walk (with GPS turned on), it will tell you the ETA. You can also get stats of what you've done and what's remaining on the path.

You can also tell the Location Tracker to warn you if you go too far away from the track.

Note that if this feature works with a route, it's more precise to use it with a track (you can create them from the app: http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/1.4/ ... eate-track).

Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
walkerm

ETA for end of route

Post by walkerm »

Thank you for your reply.
I have been using a gpx route & doing 'follow route', as well as having location tracker turned on, recording a track as we walk.
It is showing the distance remaining on path (note: Remining on path should be spelt 'Remaining'), but ETA is showing any text, it is blank.
Is the order of starting tracking & 'follow route' important or is some setting not correct?
Do I have to do something to the waypoint at the beginning of the route, give it a name as a landmark to start it recording time ?
Can you add an 'ETA' for the end of a route to the wish list for AQ if it presently can not do this?
Thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again.

You shouldn't have anything to do, except maybe select 'Reverse order' if you are walking from the end of the track to the start.
The ETA is then computed from your current position (actually the closest from you on the path) to the end of the path (or start is reverse order). The speed taken into account is the mean one for the last seconds.

Note that you need to be moving for some time (at least few location updates) so the app can get your speed.
If the remaining distance is displayed and not the ETA, then it means that there is no location or no speed available. From the GPS details window, you can check if the GPS is fixed and also your instant speed.

Let me know,
Best regards
walkerm

Post by walkerm »

I tried it on my walk recently using a route converted to a track & using it to 'Follow route' Most of the walks I do have not been done before, so I don't have times I can use.
Most of the time on the walk it would always show 'Distance remaining', but at one point it did show the ETA. The phone goes into stand-by when I put it in my pocket, with AQ tracker running in the background. When I took it out again, it showed the distance, but ETA was blank.
Any more suggestions.

Thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

The instant GPS location (not the location tracker) is disabled by default when turning off the screen or pausing the application (to save battery), so the instant speed is reseted and so the ETA. You can disable this feature in the application settings ('disable localisation is background').
Note that when you follow a route/path, the times do not need to be available (you can create a track from the app and use it), the app only needs a path and your current speed retrieved form the GPS localization.