The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

help with user_settings.conf

Any question about the app? Ask it here
itazura

help with user_settings.conf

Post by itazura »

Hello -- First, let me say that this is a fantastic app. Really well done -- thank you.

My issue is this: I'm having trouble getting Alpinequest to recognize my user_settings.conf file.

Here's what I did:

1. I created a text file and named it user_settings.conf
2. I added the following line to the file:

maps.features.areadownloader.max_queue_size=80000

3. I stored a copy of the file in /storage/sdcard_ext/alpinequest/ (after confirming this to be the application folder)
4. I closed and reopened Alpinequest
5. I shut down and restarted my tablet

However, when I select the "store area" option and attempt to download new map tiles, I am still seeing a limit of 7500 tiles at a time.

Some system details:
Android: 4.2.2
Alpinequest version: 1.4.13

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong or how I might troubleshoot this? Does the encoding of the text file matter, by any chance (I've tried both UTF-8 and UTF-16)?

Thanks
itazura

Re: help with user_settings.conf

Post by itazura »

OK, this is now resolved.

I'm still not sure what the problem was, but it seems to have been tied to the Android app that I used to create the text file (Office Suite 7 Pro). I tried creating a duplicate user_settings.conf file on my computer using Notepad; I then e-mailed that file to my tablet and placed it in the same directory as the initial user_settings.conf file (which I renamed). The new text file (the one generated in Notepad) worked just fine. It was also a few bytes smaller than the one I had created on my tablet. So maybe Office Suite 7 added some proprietary markup or otherwise didn't produce a "true" text file, even though I had saved it as a text file per the file menu.

At any rate, just wanted to report back that this no longer needs an answer. And if others should experience trouble with the user_settings.conf file, you might want to try creating/editing the file in Notepad or similar desktop text editor.

Thanks again for the very nice app.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Sorry for the delay of this answer, but that's great you've found the issue.
Yes, office applications usually create complex text files including text and page formatting, like .doc files. It's important to create a simple text file for the "user_settings.conf" file, with Notepad just like you did.
Just in case, here is the complete list of options available: http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/1.4/user-settings
Thanks for the tip and the feedback.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !

Post by Guest »

And if I can chip in - I used to have to edit some config files where you had to ensure that you cleared any line end or carriage return stuff else they wouldn't work. I think that they were used by C++ applications. So even with Notepad I had to be careful!