The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Storing .qct files for OTG access

Any question about the app? Ask it here
9-s

Storing .qct files for OTG access

Post by 9-s »

Hello
First, thank you for a super app: much nicer than the MM app.
I have a Nexus 7 (2013) with 32Gb storage and about 12Gb of .qct map files. At the moment I have all the files loaded onto the Nexus and everything seems to work fine. However, the memory of the device is getting pretty full so I'd like to remove the qct files to either a USB stick or SD card that I can access via an OTG cable. I have put a few qct maps onto a stick that I have previously read other files from using OTG but I can't find a way to get AlpineQuest to 'see' the qct files on the stick.
Please could you let me know whether this is possible and, if so, how I might go about accessing the map files on the stick. This is my first Android device and I'm still getting to grips with how the file structures work so I would appreciate a not-too technical response if possible please.
Many thanks.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Storing .qct files for OTG access

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for using our app,
As soon as your memory storage is recognized by Android, it's quite easy to browse it from AlpineQuest.
Open the maps explorer, and press the 'back' button until the device storage locations are displayed. There you should see your USB stick/card. Browse it to locate the maps you've copied on it.
Let me know if you have issues.

Here is a screenshot of the storage location list:
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
9-s

Post by 9-s »

Hello
Thanks for your prompt reply. I have hooked up the USB stick via OTG, navigated to it using three different file managers to be sure the contents are accessible by the Nexus, but when I look for it in AQ I'm afraid I still don't see it. Attached is the AQ screen I see when the USB is connected. Am I looking in the wrong place or is there something else I need to do? Sorry to have to ask again. Thanks for your help.
Attachments
Nexus7_AQ_screenshot_small.jpg
Nexus7_screen_AQ_140114
(42.81 KiB) Downloaded 5081 times
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
When browsing your new storage using file manager, do you know what is the path of this one? (something like "/sdcard/usbStorage/" or "/storage/usb0/")
Then, going into "Device", you should be able to browse it, but let me know about the path.
9-s

Post by 9-s »

Hello again
I don't think I'm going to be much help as I can't find the path displayed for the USB stick when it is accessed via OTG. The various file managers see it (couple of examples shown on attached image) but there isn't a path other than /
The file managers give me the option to copy the .qct files from the stick to the device, but I'd rather open and view them in AQ direct from the stick if at all possible.
I've tried hunting through the map explorer in AQ and also searched for qct but, so far, no luck.
My device isn't rooted, might that be the problem? That is something probably beyond my current capabilities.
Thanks again
Attachments
Nexus7_AQ_screenshot2&3.jpg
(36.78 KiB) Downloaded 5076 times
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Just to be sure, can you check if you have any folder called "UsbStorage" under the device ("/"), or inside "/mnt" or "/sdcard" ?
Also, you may try a full scan to located your QCT maps from the app (see screenshots here):
- click on the top bar;
- check recursive scan;
- click on "Device /".

It may take some time but will locate your maps if they are accessible. If not, so yes I guess you may need a rooted device as described here, but it strange that you can access them from other file explorers...
9-s

Post by 9-s »

Hello again

Sorry for the delay. I've had someone else who is more familiar with Android look at my Nexus but sadly neither of us can find the qct maps on the USB stick in AQ. We can find a folder USB that contains two subfolders, USB1 and USB2, but both of those have nothing to display within them (they appear to be empty). Those folders also show as empty in the various file explorer apps.
I ran a full recursive scan and again that did not find the qct files on the USB stick.

I have tried different combinations of OTG cables, USB sticks, etc, and always the file explorers can see the qct files on the stick and offer to load them onto the Nexus, but AQ cannot find or see the qct files on the stick. I'm at a loss how to proceed now and guess it may be because my device is not rooted: that is all I can think of. I still don't feel competent enough to do that yet so will continue without accessing qct maps on the USB stick.

Happily AQ works fine with the qct maps loaded onto the Nexus so I will stick with that for now and hope to come up with a usable USB solution before my device is completely full.

My thanks for your help
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I made more searches and it seams that:
- Applications must handle themselves the USB OTG communication to access plugged devices (like memory sticks but also any other usb devices). That what OTG Files Explorers or Files Explorers supporting OTG devices do;
- Or, have a rooted device and install an app like stickmount, creating a "fake" sdcard accessible in any common application.

Unfortunately there is no plans for adding the support of the UTG communication right now in AQ (that a lot of work and out of the scope of the app), also, I completely understand your concerns about rooting your device, this is not a solution.

I guess that the best thing to do right now is to use a compatible file explorer to copy/paste on demand the maps you need on the device memory and keep the other ones on the memory stick...

Sorry for not being able to help you more and not giving you a better solution.
Best regards