The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Go To Waypoint via Original Path

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Mdavis501

Go To Waypoint via Original Path

Post by Mdavis501 »

It seems that when I select "go to" a previous waypoint, it gives me a bearing as a straight line from my present location to the desired waypoint. This could be across a lake! I'd like to go back via the path that I originally took, NOT a straight line, which may not be possible. Perhaps I am not completely understanding how to use the app. Am I missing something or can I only navigate back to a waypoint in a straight line?
Thanks.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Go To Waypoint via Original Path

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
AlpineQuest is an offline navigation software, it won't automatically create you routes from points to points like car GPS. It's almost impossible to compute automated paths in the wild.

If you "target" a distant location, it will give you navigation information on a straight line way (distance, bearing, ETA).

If you want these informations computed on a particular path, you'll need to create it manually (from the application, it's fast) as a "route" or a "manual track". See tutorials here: http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/1.4/landmarks#routes.
Alternatively, you can use an existing path (previously recorded from with the Location Tracker, downloaded from the Internet as GPX/KML/KMZ file, ...).

Then, you can "auto select" your route, the bearing will point the next location on the path (you can set the distance of the "next" location in the settings).

Let me know if you need more help,
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !