The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Open Externally... Question

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Yemble

[closed] Open Externally... Question

Post by Yemble »

I have my Open Externally... configured to always run Google Earth. This works great, except for the fact that Earth always zooms right in until it crashes into the ground. You then need to zoom out by 50m (or so) in order to see anything.

As far as I am concerned, this is a bug within Earth (v7.1.1.1781) and IMHO it should stop zooming in at a reasonable height above the ground. I guess that the call parameters from AQ to Earth are pretty generic as they could apply to a number of different applications, however, I am interested to know whether, or not, there are any external control parameters, such as altitude, that would limit the initial zoom-in process of Earth?

If so, then maybe Earth (with appropriate parameters) could be added as a separate menu option alongside the existing Streets option?

In fact, when Google Earth is launched from within Google Maps, it does stop the zoom-in process at a decent height above the ground... so it must be possible.
Yemble

Re: Open Externally... Question

Post by Yemble »

I have now noticed that when Google Earth is opened from a normal waypoint, the zoom-in does halt some way above the ground. So it looks like this is a bug after all, but only with the Open Externally... from the cross-hair menu.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
I know that there is a zoom parameter transmitted by AlpineQuest to Google Maps, but I have to check for GE (I am pretty sure than there is one).
I'll have a look soon and let you know (I have a limited Internet access these days), but if there is one I could add a setting for sure...
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again.
I've made some search and found a way to specify the elevation that seems to work. I've made the changes for the next version.

Here are some explanations about the "Open in..." option:
- Both cross-hair and waypoint option uses the same method;
- There is a difference only if the waypoint has a name (so the waypoint name appears in the opened application if this one is capable).
So you should also see the "crash on ground" with Earth if you open it from a waypoint with no name.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I've also added an user setting to manually specify a different zoom level.