The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] How to save my trek

Any question about the app? Ask it here
cheekn

[closed] How to save my trek

Post by cheekn »

Hi,

I am using Lite version(install in samsung S4) to its features prior to upgrade it to Full verison.

How to capture GPS data(my trek/trail) and upload it onto Google Earth? Do I need to save it in GPX format? Does LITE version supports this capture and upload?

Thanks

Regards

Chee KN
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: How to save my trek

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your interest in AlpineQuest,
You will need the full version do do what you want. With this one, you'll be able to record your tracks, export them in GPX or KML format and display them in Google Earth.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
cheekn

Post by cheekn »

Thaks for reply. Will upgrade to Full version.
cheekn

Post by cheekn »

Hi

I have upgraded to FULL version. I am planning to use AlpineQuest which installed on my S4 in my coming EBC treking trip(Nepal).

Need advise of the below :-

(i) Shall I download the map for offline use. Which map is more appropriate
(ii) Which format (GPX or KML) is better? If I would like to export and display them in Google Earth.
(iii)How to record the tracks
(iv) What is the best way to records entire tracks as entire trekking trails take more than 10 days.

Regards
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
What an interesting trip!
Here are my suggestions concerning your questions:
1) I unfortunately don't know any detailed on-line topo maps of this region. What you can do is to to use both "OSM Landscape" and "Google Satellite" maps (available as built-in stored maps). It even seems that the EBC trail appears on the Landscape map. You can display both maps as layers and use the store area tool to make all the are available off-line. Here is the tutorial: http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/1.4/ ... store-area;
2) Both formats can be read in GE. I personally prefer the GPX because it seems more compatible with other applications. However, for use with AlpineQuest, I suggest you to keep a .trk (default track format) copy;
3) Here is the online help for the location tracker: http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/1.4/tracker. Ask me is you have more questions;
4) 10 days is very long for tracking with a smart-phone. The important thing to do to save your battery is to turn your device in airplane mode, and disable as many applications running in background as possible. I advice you to use a tracking frequency of 10 or 20 seconds, depending on the precision you want. With that, I am usually able to track for 2/3days, depending on the walking time. To last more, you will need an extra power source, like extra USB battery(ies), a solar or manual charger, etc. An AlpineQuest user made a 1 month hike using a solar charger, however he was in the sunny Arizona...
If you start the tracker when beginning the walk, and pause it at the end, you will be able to have all your days recorded in different track segments within a single track, useful to have separated statistics, names and colors for your different days.
Here are some tips about battery saving: http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/1.2/ ... ong_tracks.

Let me know if you have more question, I'll be glad to answer.
Best regards
cheekn

Post by cheekn »

Thanks for your helpful reply. Will try it out. Rgds
cheekn

Post by cheekn »

Hi,

I tried to store google map of my EBC trek for offline use. I selected the map area I want by adjusting the retagular map with Zoom to maximum prior to press the "Start" button. It took about 30mins with message "process terminated" toward the end. I make my S4 Airplane mode and test the google map than I stored. I can see the map that I defined (EBC trek) but I am not sure whether this map is working properly.

Futher check file on my SD card's alpinequest file folder, I can see there were 6 folders with maps folder stated 0 folders 0 files.

Can you please advise whether I have downloded the map for offline use propperly? If not how to check/verify?

Thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
As soon as the process is terminated with a green progress bar, everything should be fine. In the progress bar, the number of occurred errors (missing small parts) is displayed (only is there are any). The bar turns red if there is a lot of errors.

To check that the map area is correctly stored, you can, as you did, turn on the air-plane mode to close all connections, and display the area again. If the map is displayed, then it's stored locally for sure. If it's not, you'll see white parts with the message "you are offline".

Concerning the stored data on your device, you cannot browse it from AlpineQuest. AlpineQuest only lists recognized on-board map formats, the Maps Explorer won't show the cached data. You can however use your usual Android file explorer (Astro, ES, etc.) and browse the AlpineQuest folder, then the "cache/builtin-maps/" one and you should see large files (2 per maps). Your data is stored in these files.

Best regards
cheekn

Re: [closed] How to save my trek

Post by cheekn »

Hi,

I am embarking my 16 days Nepal trek end of this month(Nov). I need your expert advice what is the best way to record my trails which I would like to display trails of trek on GE later? I am using my S4.

I will take into your previous advise (i) Extend the interval time (ii) Start as single track with each day as segment - puase it end of day.

I will need to charge off and charge my battery every night.

What exactly the best way to do it for 16 days?

Thanks

Chee KN
Malaysia
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
Yes, as explained previously an update period of 1 location / 10 seconds for the location tracker is good for long hikes.
If you make sure to turn off the wifi, activate the airplane mode (unless you need cell access), and kill any background apps (like weather, news or facebook update apps), you'll be able to track for long hours (well, it depends on you device and age of battery, but it should easily track for one complete day, I usually get 2 days with my device).

Be sure to turn on the tracker just when leaving, and stopping it as soon as you've done your days.

An option would be to export the day track every evening, and start a new track the next days. Latter, you'll be able to merge all day tracks into a single one for display in GE or anywhere else. You should export tracks in the default format, and only convert them latter into the GPX format for GE (it will consume less battery).

In order to charge you device, you have different options:
- carry extra batteries or usb battery packs (http://lifehacker.com/five-best-externa ... -509802431);
- have your device plugged in an use a usb solar charger during the day (https://www.google.co.uk/#q=usb+solar+charger&safe=off);
- you can even use an usb hand charger, even if you need to be very motivated to get a phone charged with it... (https://www.google.co.uk/#q=usb+hand+charger&safe=off).

Let me know if anything is not clear...
I guess it would be a wonderful trip!
cheekn

Post by cheekn »

Hi,

I have done two days track in default format (export in defualt format trk). How can I merge these two days track? Shall I convert it to GPX format prior to merger? How to perform this format conversion? I would like to display this on GE. What I shall I do next?

Thanks

Regards

Chee KN
cheekn

Post by cheekn »

Hi,

I have save few way points by shooting a picture with location name. I see it on the map the way point name on alpinequest map but not with the picture/photo. How can I do it?

If I would like these way points info with pictures/photos display on GE, what shall I do?

Rgds

Chee KB
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
You can use the copy/paste feature to convert your tracks in the GPX format.
Long-press a track and select "Copy ", then create a new GPX File ("+" bottom menu button then "GPX File"), and paste it ("Clipboard" bottom menu button).
Here is the help on creating/converting GPX items: http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/1.4/ ... format-gpx.
Be sure to use the last 1.4.10 version just released.

Concerning the image waypoints, click on them and select "Details" to display the picture(s).
When exported in GPX, you'll be able to see the points in GE, but unfortunately the pictures themselves are not exported right now. It's a planned feature.

Best regards
cheekn

Post by cheekn »

Thanks
cheekn

Post by cheekn »

Hi,

I have created day_1.gpx which consist of my day_1 track and waypoints(with photo) and day_2.gpx of day_2 track and its waypoints(with photo).

I have actually created nother merge_2days.gpx which consist of day_1 and day_2 tracts and theit waypoints.

How can I "export" out my merge_2days.gpx to GE to be displayed on my desktop?

Rgds

Chee KN