The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Features of AplineQuest Lite/ Full

Any question about the app? Ask it here
andyp

Features of AplineQuest Lite/ Full

Post by andyp »

Have just stumbled across this in the market and have been playing on it for a couple of hours. Is there any chance you could give a run-down of all the features available in the Lite version? This looks like the perfect program as i am planning a biking holiday to the alps later in the summer and don't want to be stung for roaming charges. i have been trying to open the queyras file from your default maps but keep getting an error message.
also, i have been trying to add waypoints for some local routes- is there a step-by-step instruction guide for using the waypoints as i have tried firstly copying a gpx file from the map creator (which left me with a blank screen) and also within alpinequest (which didn't do anythin). it may be user-error but i can't find any instructions.

oh, i am currently using the lite version, so thought these might be limitations of the free version? didn't want to pay out for the full version til i knew what was included on top of the lite version.
thanks for your help, and great app!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Features of AplineQuest Lite/ Full

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
The lite version doesn't feature the map rotation (using the device compass). This is the only feature that is not included in the lite version right now.
But AlpineQuest is very young (only 2 weeks) and there are a lot of questions about what to put or not in the lite version (especially the removing of the free version dialog). What is sure is that there will always be a free version, but with limited capabilities.

This means that you should be able to open the Queyras map (which I re-tested just now) with the lite version. If not, please check that:
- the file hasn't been corrupted during the download;
- the file has been entirely copied to the SD card before removing the USB connector (I have got this problem one time).
Until now, I haven't heard about crashes on opening maps.
If the problem persists, I would be interested in getting more information: phone/android version used, error message, etc...

Concerning the GPX handling, the support is very light right now. AlpineQuest can only read GPX files (tracks, routes, waypoints), and only create waypoints.
I'm currently working on new features (including recording of GPX tracks), but they should be added only in the full version.
This means that until a new version, you must use an external tool to create your routes. You can try http://www.marengo-ltd.com/map/ suggested by Blaze in another post (just put waypoints on the map, and then click on the "GPX" button to get the text that you must paste in text file with a name ending with ".gpx"). You can also use the GPX feature of the map creator to create a file with multiple waypoints (waypoints are only drawn on the map, they are not visible in the list view). Click on "Save Gpx" to create the GPX file to copy to the "alpinequest/landmarks/" folder of your SD card.

I hope this can help you.
Thanks for your feedbacks.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !

Post by Guest »

hey, thanks for the response.
with the waypoints, i had put them in the wrong folder, so have now got them figured out, or at least the start of them sorted. As expected, it was completely user-error!

i just had another go with the queyras maps, fully downloaded, copied over and waited a couple of minutes before removing usb using computer and then phone. it still comes up with map error, and forces closure of the program. i have checked and the full copy is on the SD card and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the file. I am using a HTC Legend running 2.1. It isn't hugely important to me to have those maps, but they coincide with my summer biking trip which would have been handy! I might try making the custom map in the map creator and see if that is my problem. So far all the other maps have worked fine, although i have only been using the 'Multimap UK OS Maps'. this might be another case of user error- i am still new to android so could be me. I know you have checked it yourself, but can anyone else check to see if they can get the map running on their phone alright?

obviously the dialog box gets a little irritating, but if it helps promote the full version then i think it is necessary. much better than some of the radio programs out there that have an advert break every 5 minutes! i am considering getting the full paid for version, but will wait to see the developments in the near future to decide if it does everything i need.
again, fantastic app, and well done!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Guest wrote:I know you have checked it yourself, but can anyone else check to see if they can get the map running on their phone alright?
Yep, I'll also ask to testers.
Guest wrote:again, fantastic app, and well done!
thanks! ;)
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !