The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[done] Waypoint URL Functionality

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Yemble

[done] Waypoint URL Functionality

Post by Yemble »

In Memory-Map it is possible to put a path to a MMO file within a waypoint URL, such that double clicking the waypoint results in the contents of the MMO file being displayed. This is a fantastic way of handling off-line route files, of which I have a few thousand. In GPX terms, I believe that this equates to the <link>...</link> construct.

I have tried setting the URL field of one of my waypoints to: /mnt/extSdCard/GPX_Routes/0000/mm0001.gpx

Unfortunately, when I select this URL in the waypoint details, Alpine Quest reports an error "No activity found to handle intent...". Have I got the syntax wrong, or is this a feature that Alpine Quest does not fully support, as per Memory-Map. I would like AQ to open the GPX route file referred to in the URL and then display it on the map.

If AQ cannot do this, then may I please request an enhancement to allow this to work.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Waypoint URL Functionality

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
You have to specify a local file using the prefix "file://" before the complete file path, so in your case it's "file:///mnt/extSdCard/GPX_Routes/0000/mm0001.gpx".

It hasn't been though to be used like that in AlpineQuest, but you can achieve something quite similar with the current version.
Using the full AlpineQuest version (this is the only one registered to open GPX files selected from anywhere), selecting the link will load and display the content of the GPX file. If you click on a route, it will be displayed on the map but you will return in the details view, which one you'll need to close to view the map and the route.

However all this is not really easy to use... Moreover you won't be able to edit your thousand of link!
I'll try to get documentation on the MMO format and see if something similar can be achieved in AlpineQuest.

Hope it helps
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Thanks, that actually works pretty well. Not quite as seamless as the old Memory-Map, but certainly usable. Performing global edits on my walk waypoint headers GPX file is easy enough on my PC, so I've been able to correct all of my URLs with one command :D In any case this AQ method is MUCH, MUCH, better than anything that is available in either Back Country Navigator, ViewRanger, or indeed, the (appalling) Android version of Memory-Map.

I have another related question. When I import a GPX file that contains numerous waypoints, it always appears in AQ as "Set of waypoints 1" and there does not appear to be a way to rename this waypoint set to something more meaningful, say, "Good Beer Guide 2013". Is there a way to set this name within the GPX file? I did try:
<name><![CDATA[Good Beer Guide 2013]]></name>
but unfortunately, AQ still imported it as "Set of waypoints 1".

Surely there must be a workaround for this?

Please forgive me for being a newbee :oops:
(I'm just trying to get the same, or similar, mapping functionality on my Android smartphone, that I have enjoyed for around ten years with Memory-Map on my old WM6 PDA)
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Forget my previous comment. After I restarting AQ, my Good Beer Guide waypoints file was displayed as "Good Beer Guide 2013", so the <name>...</name> construct does work within the GPX file... EXCELLENT !!!

Two obvious observations:

1) It would avoid confusion if AQ applied (and displayed) this name from the imported GPX file, without the need for a restart.
2) It would be better if the imported set took its name from the GPX file name, if no name is specified within the GPX data.

Other than that, everything is peachy with POIs.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi again!
Good to see that you found a way to make it work like you need, even if it's not as simple as it used to be.

GPX files don't have the concept of "sets", all GPX waypoints are directly stored in the file, and AlpineQuest uses the "meta" name of the file ('<name>' tag) to name the virtual set, as you have seen.

Concerning your suggestion:
1) The file content is loaded the first time you select the GPX file. Then the content is stored into memory until it's no more used. This is done to avoid long loading times when re-opening the same file again and again, or to re-load a second time a file that is already loaded (memory is very limited on mobile devices). Files that are loaded in memory have a small yellow "sun" displayed over the file icon of the Landmarks Explorer.
As a result, if you modify a file that is already loaded in memory using another mean, AlpineQuest won't notice it. I think that you have been faced to this problem, however it only happens in very particular situations, since users usually don't modify content of opened files using another application... The solution would be to check regularly if the size of the file or last write date of the file have changed since it has been loaded. I'll try to do it, but it won't be so soon.
2) Yes you're right, I though it was the case, but actually not... I have added this feature (however I first check for the meta file name '<name>', and if not present I use the file name, which is never empty).

Thanks for these suggestion
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !