The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Storage Location & OS Maps

Any question about the app? Ask it here
groberts0

Storage Location & OS Maps

Post by groberts0 »

I have been recommended AlpineQuest and, for the moment, have installed the Free version to take a look - will upgrade if it does what I want. Two questions:

1. The instructions show that new offline maps should be stored in sdcard/alpinequest/maps. I have a Nexus 7 tablet and like many tablets don't have an SS card and cannot find any other storage location for this purpose that may have been set up on installation. Will AQ run on a N7 tablet and where is the Offline storage located?

2. I have been told that AQ can access Ordnance Survey maps and store them for offline use. I can not find these maps: are they available (perhaps with the paid version) and can they be used offline / how?

Thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Storage Location & OS Maps

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your interest in AlpineQuest.

1. "sdcard/alpinequest/maps" is the default folder. However you can have maps wherever you want, since:
- You can change this default location in the AQ preferences (setting SD Card path);
- You can browse any location using the offline maps explorer (click on the top address bar).
You can try all this with the free version.

2. OS maps are available in the .QCT offline format, supported by AlpineQuest. You can also access these maps online using a map from the community map list.
You will need the full version for that.

Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
groberts

Post by groberts »

Forgive me but without more detail I do not understand you comments:

1. I found the change CD Card default under SETTINGS but what do I replace SD Card with? Remember this is a tablet and has no card, as such. If I go into the tablet via my Laptop there are currently x6 folders under AQ: cache, exports, landmarks, logs, maps, pictures. If I put a map file into the Maps folder it does not show up on the tablet. What am I doing wrong?
2. There is also an Error message coming up often when I try to go into some areas of AQ, which says:
Error
Call:_parse
In: a Throws: net.peyberia.a.a.f.b.e
3. When you say: You can browse any location......(click on the top address bar) - what address bar and where?

I am new to such mapping and do not understand much of the logic and terminology - are there a more comprehensive available than on the website?

Thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
Sorry if I was not so precise.

For the SD card path, I think that it will work without changing this setting.
If your tablet doesn't have a real SD card, it should still have an internal memory that will behave like an SD card.

To check that:
Open the landmarks Explorer (Landmarks menu -> Explore landmarks), and choose "Local landmarks". Then try to create a waypoint or a folder using the '+' button to see if there is a storage available on "/sdcard/".

In this same window, the address bar is located at the top of your screen. It should be titled as "Local landmarks", with the current folder path.
You can click on it to browse a different folder on your tablet.

The maps explorer will also have this address bar.

Let me know
Best regards
groberts

Post by groberts »

OK thanks, progress! I followed your instructions and it saved a point on the map - so I guess as you say, that means that in the absence of an SD card there is an alternative memory space allocated automatically.
Also I see what you mean by the Local Landmarks address bar.

Now for the difficult bit - could you please walk me through how to find / save / use a map offline; if you can direct me to an small, open source map as an example and then the step by step action to save it to AQ and then use it offline. I want to repeat, I am very interested in upgrading but first want to prove the basics to myself using the free version.

I wonder do you have a more comprehensive guide that I can use - I find the one on your website short on details?

Thanks for your continuing help.
groberts

Post by groberts »

I have just spent the past four hours reading your website guidance + downloading a sample QCT map + putting it into the QA MAP folder but still nothing appears on the tablet - I have almost given up! I simply do not understand what is wrong. PLEASE can you direct me to a suitable map file that I can then try and install on the Nexus 7 for use with QA. Again, thanks.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
Here is the online help on maps, you will find information on the offline maps.
You can also find a tutorial to create AQM maps.
Finally, here is a created offline map ready to use.

I think that what you have to do is to figure out which directory you see when you plug your tablet on your PC. I don't know all tablets so I cannot tell you this point.
Then, using the Maps explorer, you have to browse to this folder.

Another tip that could help you: Click on the address bar on the Maps explorer, check "Recursive scan" and select "SD Card". AlpineQuest will then scan all folders and subfolders to search any kind of compatible maps (it can take some time).

Let me know if you find something,
Best regards
groberts

Post by groberts »

Thanks that's very useful - I had already been looking at some of this but find it rather complicated, however, I will persevere. The sample map you sent was very helpful and I have successfully viewed it on the tablet. I placed it in the AQ Map folder and when I went to view it there was first a warning saying: "the map you've selected contains no data at the current location, which will result in a blink screen". I was then asked if I wanted to slide the view to the map which did the trick - is this normal?

As I said in the OP, one of the main things I would like to view are 1:50,000 Ordnance Survey maps. I realize I need the paid version of AQ for this but do they come already in .QCT or .AQM format + can I get these through Alpine Quest??
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
The question about the map you selected is normal.
For the OS maps, they are available in the .QCT format but as explained in the application description on Google Play they are not provided with AlpineQuest.