The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Renaming saved treks.

Any question about the app? Ask it here
ksteinke

Renaming saved treks.

Post by ksteinke »

Why isn't it possible to rename the saved treks? When I rename the saved file it still appears but when I open the file it doesn't show track. I understand how to give it a name when saving it, but the file names always begin with "track_20121123_" and they end with my assigned name. It would be much more preferable if my assigned name was at the beginning of the file name. That would make searching through several saved treks in one folder much easier.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Renaming saved treks.

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for this feedback.

You should be able to rename all track names and file names.

AlpineQuest only uses the GPX format to store tracks, and this could lead to a misunderstanding.
Each track has an internal name, and is stored in a GPX file that also have an internal name, plus a file name. So for a track there is actually 3 different names.

To rename the GPX file name: Long press on the GPX file and select 'Rename file'.
To rename the GPX internal name: Long press on the GPX file and select 'Edit', then fill the 'Name' field.
To rename the track, click on the GPX file to browse it, long press on the track and select 'Edit'.

Names like 'track_20121123_xxx' are file names. I found it useful to use this scheme by default because the files are then sorted by date. But as you suggest, it could be useful to use another sort.

Inside the GPX files, you will find your track having the real name you entered.
Be sure to use an updated version (1.3.6 or more).

Best regards.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
ksteinke

Post by ksteinke »

I guess it needs the underscores ( _ ) between the words. It works now that I'm using them.

But it did create a duplicate file with the file type of GPX.BAK. What is that all about?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again.
You should be able to use spaces too.

Concerning the .BAK files, they are created when you edit a .GPX file. The original file is saved to a .BAK file.

Best regards
ksteinke

Post by ksteinke »

I've tried renaming with spaces from my computer and it does not work.

You need to provide an instruction manual on how to use this app since there are so many things one needs to know before using it. I'm very computer literate and yet this app is driving my crazy.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

If you didn't succeed to rename your files with spaces using your computer, then you will need a manual for your computer, not for AlpineQuest.
ksteinke

Post by ksteinke »

Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Instead of saying injuries, can you describe what means "it doesn't work" so we can find a solution to your issue.
I've tried renaming with spaces from my computer and it does not work.