The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Need to be able co cache all zoom levels for selected area

It's all about maps...
CR45H

Need to be able co cache all zoom levels for selected area

Post by CR45H »

Hi. This feature is BADLY needed for offline use. We need to be able so select an area (whatever is currently displayed on the screen) and then go to the menu option and press a button to cache all zoom levels for that area. The maximum size of the area could be limited so as not to create a situation where people fill up their whole sd card without intending to do so.

This should be relatively simple to implement because it would require no additional UI modifications other than the single menu item.

PLEASE implement this badly needed feature. Thanks.

-Adrian
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Need to be able co cache all zoom levels for selected ar

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for giving your feedback here.
I completely understand this need and a lot of users are asking for a similar feature.
As you said, this is technically quite easy to implement. The reason it hasn't been done yet different.
Most of available online maps do not allow third party application (like MOBAC or AlpineQuest) to access there tiles. The servers are usually dedicated to their web-services and online viewers. Some allow these applications with some restrictions (OpenStreetMap), other (most) 'tolerate' them, and some just ask for a removing.
Not having this bulk download feature helps AlpineQuest to access more online source by not being blocked (for information AlpineQuest had been blocked by OpenStreetMap servers few months ago).
Furthermore, this is exactly this feature that forced MOBAC to remove all sources (except the few ones accepting that under particular conditions as mentioned above), and adding it to AlpineQuest will just lead to the same result.
I am however thinking to a similar feature, like downloading tiles along a path, which would be less tile consuming than areas, but this needs to be done in a good way.
Finally, note that MOBAC does support custom online maps that allows you to add online maps.
I hope you understand this point of view,
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !