The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Exported a .gpx file, now what?

It's all about maps...
1arryb

Exported a .gpx file, now what?

Post by 1arryb »

I have a couple of newbie questions about tracks:

1. Is there a way to reload a track into Alpinequest once it has been "exported and cleared"?

2. Once I export a .gpx file, how do I get it on my PC to work with it in Map Creator? When I plug my Galaxy Nexus into my PC and view it with Windows Explorer, there is no "sdcard", only various other folders. One of them is called "Alpinequest", but it is empty. Where are my tracks?

Thanks for the help,

Larry

Update: My cellphone is a Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.0. My PC runs Windows XP SP3.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Exported a .gpx file, now what?

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,

1. Tracks are exporter on the SD card, in AlpineQuest's landmark folder.
You can browse them again using the Landmark Explorer (Phone's "Menu" button -> Landmarks -> Offline landmarks).
Click on tracks to display them on the map.
Long-click to get statistics and do other things.

2. Using the Landmark Explorer you can check the path of the landmarks folder for your device. On Samsung devices this is usually '/sdcard/external_sd/alpinequest/landmarks/'.
Connect your phone and browse it using the Windows Explorer. You should find your GPX files under 'E:\external_sd\alpinequest\landmarks\' or something like this.
Let me know if that's ok.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
1arryb

Post by 1arryb »

Ok, I solved one part of this mystery. My Samsung Galaxy Nexus has 32G internal storage but no sdcard. So, G*d only knows what Alpinequest did when I attempted to store it to /sdcard/... What it did NOT do was propose a default storage location that exists on my phone. Nor did it throw an error when I tried to store to my non-existent sdcard.

I'll try again, this time overriding the default location with a path into internal storage.

Thanks!

Update:
1. Once a track is exported to the non-existent '/sdcard/...' location, it is not shown as available for loading in the landmark explorer. Was it even saved?
2. The dialog for saving tracks doesn't offer an option to change the storage location. Can this be controlled elsewhere?

Update 2: (some of) the files finally showed up on my office (Windows 7) computer. It appears that I don't fully understand the Android 4.0 "digital media device" mount thing. I still can't see my exported tracks in landmark explorer though, but maybe this is because I don't grok the Alpinequest UI either.

So, "never mind". I'll keep struggling with it. Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Larry
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
The tracks are exported in the AlpineQuest landmarks folder. As you noticed this cannot be changed, but once exported you can move the exported GPX files using the Landmarks Explorer. If the export fails (non existing folder, full memory, ...), you will get an error message.
If you want to change the default '/sdcard/external_sd/alpinequest/landmarks' folder, you can do it the the AlpineQuest preferences.

I don't know about the newer Samsung phones, but usually it worked like that:
- /sdcard/ is the location of the internal memory, this is also the folder displayed in windows while connected as mass storage device;
- /sdcard/external_sd/ is the location of the SD memory card of the phone. If you do not have a memory card, this will then also be on your internal memory.

Don't hesitate to ask if something in not clear,
Best regards
DanC

Post by DanC »

I have similar problem - after 'exporting' (i.e. saving) a route as gpx, I can see the file in the landmarks folder on my phone (LG/Google Nexus 4), but not in the corresponding folder on my PC. Weird thing is that some gpxs are visible and some aren't. Any ideas why? I haven't changed the SD card path, although the Nexus 4 doesn't have an SD card as such, just internal storage. In Landmarks explorer on phone the path is given as "storage\emulated\0\alpinequest\landmarks", whereas when connected to my PC it opens as "Nexus 4\Internal storage\alpinequest\landmarks". Not sure whether that difference is significant, or why some exported gpxs should show on PC and not others.

Please advise as it's doing my head in!

Thanks
Dan
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi and thanks for reporting this issue.

I have searched on the Internet for a similar issue, and finally found that it seems to be an Android 4.0 bug:
Here is another user report: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1373 ... es-via-mtp.
Here is the bug report on the Android website: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=38282.

As explained in the first link, the work-around seems to be:
- Clear the "Media Storage" app's data;
- Use the SDrescan app to force an update.

Alternatively you can also just reboot you phone.

Could you confirm that you had this issue and that a work-around worked?

Best regards
serguai59

Post by serguai59 »

Hello everybody

I'm a newbie about Alpinequest : a very nice application ideed

I just bought 1.3.8 version and the only format I see to export tracks is through images ? (jpg)
nevertheless, Alpinequest reads gpx files and shows the drawing on the screen

I used MM Tracker (but now it crashes under my 4.2.1 Android customized rom) and the ability to save tracks under gpx format is a must

By reading previous threads, I see many people speaking about gpx saved files in Alpinequest (in "landmarks" sub-folder) : this option has disappeared in 1.3.8 ?

I certainly misunderstood something ...

Any help appreciated, thanks

Best regards !
serguai59

Post by serguai59 »

Hello

I reply to myself (and for all of you who thought about my issue as a non sense : they were right)

Up to day, I'd never done a true long track with my bicycle

At the end ( 13 small kilometers), I was able to see the export choice with GPX format ... ;o))

So, I think I have to change my spectacles

Have a nice day

Serge
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
Don't worry for the question.
Concerning GPX support, it's a bit different with version 1.3.8 (but if it's your first version, it's all new):
From the Landmarks Explorer of AlpineQuest, you can create an empty .GPX file (click in the '+' menu button). In this file, you can create and paste any waypoints, routes and tracks.
Best regards