The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Creating Maps

It's all about maps...
andersonm

[closed] Creating Maps

Post by andersonm »

Hello,
can anyone help? When putting the MOBAC created maps onto my SD card, they are not available on AlpineQuest on my handset. They are just not there. This program seems hugely complicated for what it is attempting to do. The Readme guide is not helpful, it contains references to menus that aren't there (such as Atlas Settings), and i get error messages when attempting to create an atlas. Others seem to use it without problem, but i am not trying to navigate a nuclear sub, i just want to download a few OS maps. Is there a user guide anywhere that actually teaches you how to use this program??
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Creating Maps

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
I admit it may take a little time to clearly understand the process of the map creation, but an up to date tutorial with screenshots is available on the download page of the AQM Map creator, which explain you how to create maps in less than 10 steps: http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/aqm.

If you still have problems and couldn't see your maps in AlpineQuest, you can read this post: map not working.
This program seems hugely complicated for what it is attempting to do.
What do you mean ? AlpineQuest is more complicated than Google Maps ? True.
We doesn't have more than 20K developpers like Google, nor the licences to include USGS and OS topo maps inside AlpineQuest.

I know that in a perfect world you would start an app showing you just the map you want with the level you want, and I really hope that AlpineQuest will be able to do this one day, but please bear in mind that AlpineQuest Lite allows you to get topo maps of a lot of countries for *free* (including USA and UK).
I spend a lot of time working on this soft, and I'm just sad when I read some comments on the market like "Doesnt work in the USA uninstalled" or "Didn't realy work. Pretty useless here in USA." (thanks a lot jesse and john by the way), which is a complete non sence.

For people who don't want to spend 2 sec to understand the principle of the soft and accept its drawbacks, just buy some maps ($300 suggested retail price for UK) or use Google Maps.

Andersonm, thanks for posting here, trying to understand how to use AlpineQuest, and allowing me to say what I have in mind.
Don't hesitate to let me know of you still have issues.
Regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Mike Green

Post by Mike Green »

I seem to be having more problems than any on the forum because I cant even get started. I am trying to create maps for hiking in the mountains of Washington State. I am mystified by the area for selection of coordinates as it defaults to values in each of N, E, W, and S which doesnt seem physically possible. I selected Terraserver-USA as the Map source and all I get on the screen is a grid of "usgs" in text and in some cases a square with a big red X.

The app seems like a great idea if I can just get started.

Mike
Gythral

Post by Gythral »

I've just looked at Mt. Rainier NP using the Terraserver-USA as the Map source, & got all the tiles in every zoom level displayed on screen, a few tiles took 10-20s to appear but no more...
N 46.999924
W -122.000427
E -121.433258
S 46.671114
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Thanks a lot Gythral to having looked at this.

Mike, I have received your e-mail but my 2 answers where blocked by your spam detector.

Note that Terraserver-USA is only available in USA, so I recommend you to navigate using Google Maps for instance, and once you are well positioned, change the map source to 'Terraserver-USA'.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Mike Green

Post by Mike Green »

You can delete my post re problems. After a bit of a learning curve I have things working very satisfactorily. Using the Atlas Creator, Terraserver-USA, I have created nice maps (apparently USGA source) for hiking in Washington State. The maps can have a great deal of detail and breadth in relatively small files. I consider these as very useful and I will probably no longer haul paper and rely on just my DroidX.

Potential problem solvers for new users:
-- Note the help button in the upper right of the screen
-- After using the mouse to define your map area, you must click the "Select entered coordinates" button.

Great app!
:mrgreen: