The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Scanned and offline maps

It's all about maps...
jolly47roger

Scanned and offline maps

Post by jolly47roger »

I am the developer of MAPC2MAPC (http://www.the-thorns.org.uk/mapping).

I plan to add output to AQM for this program before the end of June 2011.

This will allow use of many calibrated maps (OZI and others) or self-scanned maps can be calibrated.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Scanned and offline maps

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
This is a good news for AlpineQuest users.
To read more map formats (especially QCT and OZI) from AlpineQuest has been asked since a while and is still in the planned features list, but due to the amount of other wanted features it has been postponed since then. MAPC2MAPC should be able to do it before AlpineQuest does.
Moreover, to be able to use a third party application will be very useful.
Good job and best regards.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
jolly47roger

Post by jolly47roger »

I've made a small test map here : http://www.sendspace.com/file/bl8fkb

It is the NE corner of Tenerife taken from the free Spanish CNIG mapping. I have also included a GPX file which should fit the footpath from Chamorga to the lighthouse (Faro) reasonably well - can someone check it, please?
jolly47roger

Post by jolly47roger »

Looking at the other posts in the forum, here is some more information about MAPC2MAPC :-

It supports a variety of different datums and you can add custom coordinates as long as they are Transverse Mercator, Lambert Conformal Conic or Albers. The British, French, Swiss and Irish grids are built in as is UTM.
You can calibrate maps yourself or it will read a variety of different calibration files (MAP, CAL, TFW, TAB etc)
If you install GDAL_Translate it will invoke it to convert many different formats including ECW
When creating the AQM file the map is reprojected to Spherical Mercator and aligned North.
For AQM (and other mobile atlas formats) you can create a range of zoom levels from a single map
The map has to fit into memory in one contiguous piece - depending on real memory and OS this limits the size but most systems seem to handle 200Mpixels.
You can run it without the GUI invoked from a BAT file.
QCT is not supported.

I have made better progress than I expected, I hope to release a version this week.

Post by Guest »

jolly47roger wrote:I've made a small test map here : http://www.sendspace.com/file/bl8fkb

It is the NE corner of Tenerife taken from the free Spanish CNIG mapping. I have also included a GPX file which should fit the footpath from Chamorga to the lighthouse (Faro) reasonably well - can someone check it, please?

Worked for me on HTC-Hero with, I think, Android 2.1
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
I confirm what is said above, the map works fine and the GPX track fits the map trail.
Great job.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
jolly47roger

Post by jolly47roger »

This version of MAPC2MAPC now live : http://www.the-thorns.org.uk/mapping/

Please give me feedback, positive or negative - but not about the price, this supplements my pension!
jolly47roger

Post by jolly47roger »

You don't need to buy MAPC2MAPC to try it. An unregistered download does everything : it just puts red Xs across any map images. A registration key then stops the red Xs.
jolly47roger

Post by jolly47roger »

There was a bug in MAPC2MAPC which made AlpineQuest maps fail in countries that use the comma (,) as the decimal point. This has been fixed in version 460. This version will also handle some much bigger maps.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I must be dumb, but I can't find the export for AlpineQuest, and there is no mention in the help.
Any idea ?
jolly47roger

Post by jolly47roger »

Load a map then File>Write Mobile Atlas and choose Alpinequest *.AQM from the list of formats