The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Convert offline maps to .aqm format

It's all about maps...
Damir

Convert offline maps to .aqm format

Post by Damir »

Hi all,

I use a lot of military topographic maps with my AQ. The way I prepare them, because for start they are only HQ jpeg scans, is next:
- I use Ozi Explorer to create calibrated maps
- And so far i have used MAPC2MAPC, as I was advised on this forum, to convert maps to .aqm format to use them in AQ as offline maps

My problem now is that I am no longer using windows and have switched to ubuntu. OziExplorer works but MAPC2MAPC does not. Question to AQ is there any other software I can use to convert either .map or .kmz to .aqm which i can use on linux or even online tool maybe? I could not find any so far.

I still think this is the best piece of software for offroad navigation on the market! I recommend it to everyone!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Convert offline maps to .aqm format

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,

I guess you are using the free version. If not, or if you consider buying the complete version, you'll be able to read .map files from the application, so no need to convert them to AQM, or even calibrate the maps from AlpineQuest (as explained here), even if sometimes it's easier to calibrate on a large screen.

Otherwise, there is MOBAC which can run on Ubuntu and can create AQM maps, but I don't know if it can import .map files or calibrate images.
Another alternative is to try wine to make MAPC2MAPC run.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Damir

Post by Damir »

Hi,
Thanks for the answer. I use pro version since 2015. Back then i was advised here on this forum to use mapc2maps to create .aqm offline maps. Same workflow I use today.
I just didn't know that i can use .map files for offline navigation 😀 .
Are there any major disadvantages of using .map files compared to .aqm?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Ok great!
Are there any major disadvantages of using .map files compared to .aqm?
No.
If the image associated to the .map file is large, the application will convert it in its (new) own format, PGD, which is faster than AQM. You can then remove the .map file and only keep the PGD.
Otherwise it will directly load the image.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !